Tuesday, April 9, 2024

F.O.M.O. -- Second Sunday of Easter

John 20:19-31

April 7, 2024

 

            I know that I have recently mentioned the weekly lectionary group I attend. The group has become a source of inspiration and friendship for me over these past few years. And last week provided another moment of inspiration. We all commented how the passage today from John’s gospel is one that we’ve preached many, many, many, many times before, and when you’ve preached a passage this often it can be a challenge to come up with a new angle. As we were discussing the different aspects of this story about the disciple Thomas, one member of the group said something like, “Yep, Thomas definitely has a case of FOMO – fear of missing out.” Hence, the title of my sermon today is F.O.M.O. – Fear of Missing Out.

            At first glance, it’s not difficult to believe that Thomas is suffering from a case of FOMO. Our story begins on the evening of the resurrection, for us that would have been last Sunday night. The disciples, minus Thomas, were hiding together in a locked house, fearful that the religious authorities might show up at their door. They had heard the story that Mary Magdalene had told them about talking to a man she thought was the gardener, only to discover that it was their Rabbi, their Teacher, their Jesus risen from the dead. Peter and the other disciple had gone to the tomb when Mary first told them that the stone had been rolled away and the tomb was empty. But Mary’s story about later seeing the risen lord had not alleviated their fear. Whatever they believed or didn’t believe, they were still afraid, hiding, and waiting – for what they were waiting they may not have known.

            But to their wonder and amazement, the risen Jesus came and stood among them. Even though all the doors were securely locked, Jesus was suddenly standing in their midst. He said, “Peace be with you,” and then he showed them his hands and his side – the places where the nails and the guard’s spear had pierced his flesh. The disciples rejoiced. Jesus said once more, “Peace be with you.” Then, “As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” He breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

            Jesus, resurrected and risen, shows up in their midst. He offers them peace, he shows them where he had been wounded, and he breathes on them the Holy Spirit – John’s Pentecost. And while all of this is happening, Thomas isn’t there. We don’t know where Thomas was. Maybe Thomas was the one who slipped out to the marketplace to buy some food and other provisions. Maybe Thomas ran back to his own home to check on his family. Maybe he was just walking around, getting some fresh air. We don’t know what he was doing, but we do know he was not with the others. He rejoins them after Jesus has left, after Jesus has breathed the Holy Spirit on them, after Jesus has shown them the marks on his hands and side, after Jesus has offered them his peace. Thomas comes in after all this has happened, and he is greeted with the words, “We have seen the Lord!”

            One commentator wrote that the first time he went to New York City with a group of friends, he left the group for just a minute because he wanted to get a hot dog from a street vendor. When he returned to his group, the others told him they had just met the actor Will Ferrell and had their picture taken with him! He couldn’t believe it! He was gone for just a few minutes, and in that short span of time they met Will Ferrell! Did he really need that hot dog?

            If this commentator’s disappointment was fierce over missing out on meeting Will Ferrell, how much worse would Thomas’s disappointment and sorrow have been over not seeing Jesus as the others had. Although John does not add the conversation to the text, I think its fair to assume that they filled Thomas in on all that Jesus said and did when he was with them. And when Thomas hears about this, he responds,

            “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”

            And this is the moment when Thomas receives the moniker that will stay with him for centuries. In this moment he goes from being Thomas to Doubting Thomas. It seems like this is the only way I have ever known Thomas. He wasn’t just Thomas, he was Doubting Thomas, and you did not want to be a Doubting Thomas.

            But did Thomas really doubt? I will say this every time I preach on this passage, traditional interpretations have given Thomas a bad rap. Was Thomas really doubtful or did he only want to experience what the other disciples experienced? Was this about doubt or was it that the other disciples experienced the risen Christ in an unexpected way and Thomas felt that he had missed out? Was this doubt or was this F.O.M.O.?

I don’t believe that Thomas was doubting as much as he was disappointed that he had missed this incredible experience, that he had missed this visible sign of belief. And he puts that disappointment into words.

“Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”

So a week later Jesus comes again to the disciples, to Thomas. He gives Thomas what he asked for. He gives Thomas permission to touch him, touch his hands and his side. See firsthand the proof of the resurrection. Thomas says, “show me.” And Jesus says, “here I am.”

            Because of this, Thomas is seen as the cynical, skeptical doubter. But I still think that this text is not so much about doubt as it is about faith. Most of the translations of the Bible we have at our disposal, including the NRSV, the one I use, translate Jesus as saying, “doubt.” Do not doubt. But the Greek word for doubt is not used in this story at all. The more literal translation for the verb apistos is “unbelieving.” Jesus tells Thomas, “Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

            Do not be unbelieving but believing. 

            Do not be unbelieving but believing. Go from being without faith to having faith. Not having faith isn’t the same as being cynical about faith, is it?  It’s not quite the same thing as doubt. Unbelief and belief are opposites, but doubt and faith are really two sides of the same coin.

            Thomas asked for what he needed to believe. Thomas asked for the same experience of Jesus that the others had, and Jesus offered to Thomas exactly what he asked for. Jesus offered himself as motivation, as a sign for Thomas to believe, to have faith, to go from unbelieving to believing.

            When Jesus offers himself as proof and motivation for faith, Thomas utters one of the most profound confessions of faith in the gospel. “My Lord and my God.” Thomas is not exclaiming here. He is confessing his faith. My Lord and my God.

            When we examine the interaction between Jesus and Thomas in this light, then the next words of Jesus sound different as well.

“Have you believed because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen me and yet have come to believe.”

            Is Jesus trying to shame or scold Thomas?  That’s what many of us have been taught. Or was Jesus confirming what had just happened? And in his confirmation, he opened the door to faith for generations of believers yet to come. This is one of those moments in the scriptural witness when we can see ourselves firmly in the story. It’s as if Jesus isn’t just speaking to the disciples, to those standing next to him, he’s speaking to us. 

It seems to me that Thomas wants the same experience as the others. He wants to see and touch Jesus. He wants to experience this risen Jesus just as the other disciples have. “Hey, I missed out on your experience of him, so now I want one of my own. I need one of my own.” Thomas needed his own experience of Jesus to believe, and Jesus offered him that experience. And isn’t that where faith springs from? From our experience with the risen Christ. From our encounters with Jesus even when we didn’t know we were encountering him.

I will admit to anyone that when it comes to my faith, it walks hand-in-hand with my doubt. It’s hard not to look at the state of the world and not experience doubt. But even as I doubt, I still believe. And while theology and liturgy and confessions help me and teach me, my faith has been strengthened in those moments when I have experienced the risen Christ. It is in those times when I have made my own confession of “My Lord and my God.”

When I was in my early twenties and new to the Presbyterian church, I found out that a beloved high school friend had committed suicide. I was living in another state, away from my parents’ home, and my mother called to tell me about it when I was at work. She was worried about me being alone when I heard, and she knew that at work other people would be there with me. I was distraught and I called the church office. The associate pastor that I knew somewhat well was not in, but the head of staff was. The church I was attending was fairly large and I know now just how busy this pastor must have been. But he dropped everything and met me at a restaurant for a cup of coffee. And then he just listened. He listened to my grief and my confusion. He didn’t pretend to have answers and he didn’t offer me platitudes. But the one thing he told me was that God was grieving too. God was grieving and holding my dear friend closely in his loving arms. Those words opened my eyes and my heart in a new way. I experienced the risen Christ in a way that I had not before. I went from unbelief to believing. I experienced the risen Christ. Jesus made sure I saw the marks on his hands and his side too.

Thomas wanted to experience what the others experienced. And Jesus made sure that happened. Jesus wants that for us as well. Don’t fear that you will miss out. Look for him and he will be there.

Let all of God’s children say, “Alleluia!”

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment