Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Six Days Earlier -- Second Sunday in Lent

Mark 8:27-38

February 25, 2024

 

            “Get behind me!”

I’ll be honest, usually I think of those words in the context of protecting someone. As in, get behind me because there is danger ahead. Get behind me so I can protect you or take the full brunt of whatever it is that might hurt us. Get behind me, so you can stay safe. Get behind me, I’ve got this.

“Get behind me!”

These should be words of love. If you love someone and you see them in danger, you want them to get behind you. You want to put yourself between your loved ones and the threat that lies ahead.

But in our passage from Mark’s gospel, these words, “Get behind me,” convey a very different meaning especially when the name “Satan” is added at the end. “Get behind me, Satan,” doesn’t sound so much like words of love or protection as it does accusation. And even though I’ve preached and read this passage many times before, it still startles me to hear these words spoken by Jesus and spoken to Peter.

“Get behind me, Satan!”

Do you remember a couple of Sundays ago when we observed Transfiguration Sunday and read about Jesus, Peter, James, and John going up a high mountain? Do you remember reading about Jesus being changed before them, revealing his glory in his dazzling white clothes and shining countenance? That passage begins with “Six days later.” Our passage today is the six days earlier Mark was referring to.

Six days earlier, life seems to be going as usual – or as usual as it can be when you are a disciple with Jesus. Jesus and the disciples were visiting the villages of Caesarea Philippi. As they traveled, Jesus asked the disciples who the people they met believed him to be.

“Who do people say that I am?”

The disciples told him that some of the folks believed him to be John the Baptist. Others thought he was Elijah. But there were others, they told him, who thought he must be one of the prophets. Then Jesus asked them another questions.

“Who do you say that I am?”

Maybe this question made the other disciples pause. Maybe they hadn’t really considered who Jesus was before. Maybe they shifted their feet and stared at the ground hoping Jesus wouldn’t call on them individually, because they weren’t sure how to answer. But Jesus’ question caused the other disciples to hesitate, on Peter it had the opposite effect. Peter, in what must have been a moment of glaring clarity, answered,

“You are the Messiah.”

Peter was right. And in response to his answer, Jesus told the disciples what he had been telling others when they guessed his identity, don’t tell anyone. But this exchange between Jesus and the disciples did not end with Jesus’ stern warning. Jesus began to teach them what it means to be the Messiah. Jesus began to tell them, openly and clearly, that being the Messiah meant suffering. It meant rejection. It meant death, and then in three days’ time, resurrection.

Whatever insight and understanding Peter had about Jesus’ identity as Messiah came to a crashing halt. It was one thing to recognize Jesus as the Messiah; it was a whole other net of fish to hear his explanation of what it meant to be the Messiah. Jesus’ words to the disciples were shocking. Indeed, they were scandalous. Peter and the other disciples probably couldn’t believe what they were hearing. The Messiah would suffer and be rejected and die?! This just can’t be true!

Maybe that’s what Peter said to Jesus when he pulled him aside. Maybe Peter told Jesus that what he was saying was ridiculous and certainly could not be true. Maybe Peter told Jesus to just be quiet, stop talking about this, stop talking altogether. We don’t know exactly what Peter said to Jesus, but we do know that Peter rebuked him. And we know that a rebuke was not merely Peter telling Jesus to “ixnay all the talk about ufferinsay.” Peter rebuking Jesus was essentially Peter telling Jesus to shut his mouth, something a disciple was not supposed to say to his teacher.

Not only would Jesus not shut his mouth, but he also rebuked Peter in return. This was more than just a disagreement between the two of them. It was an intense and angry argument. Jesus rebuked demons. While Peter’s rebuke must have stung, Jesus’ rebuke of Peter cut to the core.

“Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”

“Get behind me, Satan?!”

No matter how many times I read those words, no matter how many times I read this story, no matter how many times I read Jesus’ words, I cannot get my mind around how awful it must have been to be Peter in that moment. I’m guilty of jokingly saying those words to people when they offer me some temptation or other. But this was no joke. I don’t think Jesus was declaring that Peter actually was Satan, but he was stating that Peter’s ideas, beliefs, and expectations about the Messiah were not from God.

After this scathing retort, Jesus spoke not only to the disciples, but he called the gathered crowd around them to listen as well.

“If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.” For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.”

If I had been in that crowd, I would not have found that description of a follower appealing. At all. In terms of public relations, it must have been the worst marketing strategy ever. If you want to be my follower, you’re going to have to deny yourself, pick up a cross and follow me. You are going to have to be willing to suffer as I am willing to suffer. You must be prepared to die, just as I will die.

Following Jesus meant a cross. Following Jesus meant suffering. Following Jesus meant death. I know that Jesus also prophesied his resurrection, but I suspect that the people listening could barely wrap their heads around the cross and dying. I suspect that those words of resurrection and new life were lost in the horror of everything else he told them.

Jesus’ words were scandalous. But let’s be honest, the gospel is scandalous. The people listening to Jesus were surely scandalized by what Jesus said, and we should be scandalized as well. If we’re not, then we’ve stopped listening.

I know that being a Christian, following Jesus, does not make everything all sweetness and light. In fact, it could make life even harder. I grew up believing that no matter how hard the following was, you just had to focus on the end result. That’s not wrong per se, but I think that following Jesus also involves a change in identity. Following Jesus is not just what we endure until we get to heaven. Following Jesus means that we bear a cross of suffering just as he did. My cross, my suffering, may look different from yours, but we each have a cross to bear. But where does that cross take us? When Jesus told the disciples and crowds that discipleship and following meant bearing our cross, he was not claiming that he would lead them away from the world. Just the opposite. When we follow Jesus, we are led into the world. We carry our cross, and we follow Jesus into a world of crosses. Following Jesus, our relationship with Jesus, is not a private affair, and I suspect that focusing solely on our individual salvation misses the point.

If following Jesus means following him into a world of crosses, then we are called to not only be willing to suffer for our sake but suffer for the sake of others. Following Jesus is not easy, and it is also not just about us alone. When we answer Jesus’ call to follow, we answer the call to stand with all those who suffer. Following Jesus is a deliberate, intentional, mindful way of living and being. It calls us to go into the world of suffering people. Following changes us, and we are called to follow even when it is hard, even when it means suffering, even though the call includes carrying our cross.

This is the scandalous good news. When we follow Jesus, we follow the One who gave flesh to the love and grace of God. We follow the One who willingly suffered and died – for our sake, for the sake of the world. We are called to get behind him, to follow and to trust that no matter how difficult the path may be, we are never alone. We are never without love.

Let all of God’s children, all of us who are picking up our crosses and following Jesus, say, “Amen.”

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment