Thursday, March 3, 2022

Mountains and Valleys -- Transfiguration Sunday

 Luke 9:28-43a

February 27, 2022

 

            When you hear the phrase “mountain top experience,” what do you think of? What comes to your mind? Have you had a mountain top experience? How would you describe that moment or that time? Was it a time when you felt closer to God, closer to humanity, closer to more clearly seeing your purpose in the world?

            I often tell people that my first mountain top experience took place on an actual mountain, when I was a youth advisor during a youth conference at Montreat. There on that mountain, I worshipped, prayed, played, learned, and fellowshipped with adults and youth from all over. It was there on that mountain that I found out I had been accepted into seminary. It was there on that mountain that I thought,

“So, this is what a mountain top experience must be like.”

I was wrong. I mean, it was a powerful and memorable experience. I loved that week in Montreat, and I wanted to capture all the feelings and understandings that I had on that mountain and bring them back down into the valley with me. I wanted to take my mountain top experience with me for the rest of my life. I didn’t. I carry the wonderful memories with me, but I’m not sure I’ve carried those feelings of being close to God and close to others with me.

             That time on the mountain was powerful. And I have had other even more powerful, more memorable times on mountains since. I have shared communion on top of Mount Nebo. I have hiked on the hills of the Appalachian Trail and some of the smaller peaks in Yellowstone. I’ve seen the top of Denali clearly through a remarkable break in the constant clouds that surround its peak. I live, like all we do, amid the rolling hills of Tennessee. But I still think that my mountain top experiences were not really mountain top experiences – not in the way that I have formerly believed them to be.

            Why? Because if we base our mountain top experiences on this passage in scripture, then there is no way I have had one. I haven’t gone up a mountain with Jesus and seen his face and clothes become dazzling white. I have not seen Jesus talking to Moses and Elijah. I have not seen the kind of glory that the gospel writers try to convey. I have not been covered in a cloud and heard the voice of God telling me, “This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!”

            I have had profound experiences on mountain tops, but I have not had this. This story, on which we base our understanding of a mountain top experience, is strange and unfathomable. In my years of preaching, I have yet to find the right way to dig into this story, to make even a semi-adequate analogy between what happened on that mountain and our lives.

            And the truth is, I don’t think it’s possible. I think we look for glimpses of glory in all the wrong ways. And it’s not that glory is not to be found, it’s not that glimpses of glory don’t happen. They do happen on top of mountains and in other places as well. But I think we also imagine that these glimpses of glory are either otherworldly, spectacular, unbelievable, and strange, or that they always leave us filled with joy and exuberance. But I’m not convinced that is always the case.  

            The thing about mountain top experiences, what I learned and maybe what Peter learned, is that you cannot, in the words of Debie Thomas, “hoard them.” You cannot build dwelling places and make those moments stay. The reality about the mountain is that eventually you must go back down into the valley.

            Scripture is filled with references to mountains and valleys. Moses went up the mountain to speak with God but came back down to the valley where the people had grown tired of waiting and created a new god for themselves. In Isaiah the prophet speaks of one day all peoples, all nations, streaming to God’s high and holy mountain, where they will feast on good food and drink good wine and they shall know God, and they shall find peace. But there are references to valleys too. Ezekiel is taken to a valley of dry bones, and asked, “Can these bones live?”

Psalm 23 reminds us that we walk through the valley of the shadow of death. Valleys are beautiful places, just as mountains are, but it seems that the analogies of mountains and valleys is that on the mountain you have some time to see clearly, you have a moment to be closer to God, but you can’t avoid the reality that the valley brings. But don’t we also see God in the reality of the valley? Isn’t God there as well as on that mountain?

            Jesus went up to the mountain to pray, to call all the disciples, to teach particular lessons, but he always came back down to the valley. In our story today, he comes back down the mountain to the valley where the people – hungry, harassed, hurting people – waited for him. A man in the crowd shouted out to him for help for his son, his only child. A spirit would seize the child, convulse him, maul him. The father had asked the disciples to heal him, but they could not do it. And Jesus, frustrated with the fact that the disciples, much less the crowds, could not seem to grasp all that he had been saying, cries out,

            ” You faithless and perverse generation, how much longer must I be with you and bear with you?”

            But Jesus still heals the boy. He cast out the demon that had so tormented the child. He came back down to the valley where sickness and confusion and misunderstanding reigned. He came back down to the valley. It was not only on the mountain where God’s glory through Jesus could be seen. It happened in the valley too, but the people could not see it for what it was. They could not see Jesus for who he was. Not really. Not yet.

            And as many years as I have preached this passage, I have also thought that Jesus took the disciples up to that mountain for their sakes. Teacher and preacher, Anna Carter Florence, once said in a conference that I attended, that we think Jesus took Peter, John, and James up that mountain because they were the ones closest to Jesus’ heart. But maybe, she said, they were really the remedial group. Maybe they were the ones who most needed the lesson. Yet what if Jesus took them with him not only for their sake, but for his own. Jesus knew what waited for him in the valley. He knew that he would meet violence and death in the valley. Maybe he needed that time on the mountain to help him, strengthen him, encourage him.

            Perhaps Jesus asked the disciples to come along to keep him company, to wait with him, just as he would ask them to wait with him in the garden. Jesus talks with Moses and Elijah about departure, his departure. He knew his departure was coming, and he knew that it would not be peaceful. Maybe Jesus needed this time on the mountain for himself as well as for the disciples. He went up the mountain because he knew that most of his life, his ministry, his teaching, his healing, and his suffering would take place in the valley.

            So, perhaps that is what we need to hold onto as well. We long for the mountaintop experiences. We long for those moments when we think we might have glimpsed glory, but we live the majority of our lives in the valleys, don’t we? And if God makes himself known on the mountaintop, then surely God is also known, glimpsed, recognized in the valleys as well.

            Like people around the globe, I have been following the news of the war in Ukraine with great intensity. It is hard not to be scared and troubled and worried about what this means for all of us. It is hard not to be caught up in emotion as we watch the Ukrainian people fight back, protect their country, their culture, with everything that they have. But don’t you think that the citizens of Ukraine want to live their lives, take care of their children, drink coffee with friends, go to work, and live in peace? Don’t you think this is true for the people of Russia and Poland and America and Mexico and South Africa and India and every other place on the globe as well. Don’t you think that all people just want to put their children to bed at night, and to trust that they will wake in the morning? Don’t you think that people everywhere just want to have peace in the valley?

            That’s what I want. It is in the valley where we have to learn what peace is, where we must learn how to get along with one another, when we have to learn what Jesus knew, that peace is not just the time between wars, but that it is true shalom. It is the fullness of life lived without fear and violence. It is the kingdom of God. It is the kindom of God. Jesus went back down from that mountain into the valley because that is where we live most of our lives. It is in the valley where we eat and sleep and love and hate. It is in the valleys where we hope and dream. It is in the valleys where we wait and watch. It is in the valleys where God meets us, in our suffering and in our joy, in our living and in our dying.

            Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for you are with me. We long for the mountaintop, but we live in the valleys, and God is with us in both places. I said I was wrong in thinking that my mountain top experiences were actually mountain top experiences. I was and I wasn’t. Yes, there were profound times in my life when I felt God’s abiding presence. But I have also felt God’s abiding presence in the valley. But it took hindsight to understand that. It took looking back at the valley to see that God was there all along.

We may go up to the mountaintop for a time, but we are called back down to the valleys, back to the people, back to the brokenness. Jesus went back to the valley knowing what waited for him there. He went back to the valley, not to meet evil with evil, violence with violence, but to give of himself, to sacrifice himself, to be a servant to others, so that finally, one day peace, real peace, might reign in the valley. May we do so as well. May this be our solemn vow, our fervent prayer, our deepest hope. We are called to live and love and work for the kingdom of God in the valley. May there be peace in the valley, now and forever.

            Let all of God’s children say, “Alleluia.”

Amen.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment