Tuesday, February 22, 2022

A Good Measure

Luke 6:27-38

February 20, 2022

 

            Seventh grade was not a good year for me. Seventh grade is not a good year for many people. The changes of adolescence are hitting hard. Your body is changing, and your hormones are raging. These changes make it hard to navigate relationships, school, peer pressure, etc. It can be a difficult time. But all the challenges of my seventh-grade year were made even harder by a mean girl – a really mean girl. I’ll only refer to her by her initials – Y. T.

            Y. T. was popular. She was smart. She was a cheerleader. And, I thought, that we were becoming friends. She invited me over to her house to spend the night. She encouraged me to confide my secrets and fears and secret fears to her. Then, on Monday, during a break in class, with me right there, she told all the other girls all the things I told her. She mocked and made fun of me, and, of course, the other girls made fun of me too. It was humiliating to say the least. That was just one incident, one example of her meanness. I tried to keep my head low, stay away from her, but from that point on I the target of all her venom. It was a long year. And I have never been more grateful that we didn’t have classes together in eighth grade, and that we ended up going to different high schools. I would have begged my parents to move, send me to private school, or enter me into a convent, whatever it took, not to spend those last four years of my public education with her.

            This was a long time ago. And looking back, I realize that Y. T. was probably dealing with her own insecurities and demons. She was dealing with the changes of adolescence too. Maybe there were things happening in her life then that none of us knew or could understand. But even with this long-distance perspective, I still haven’t forgotten how badly she wounded me, how horribly she embarrassed and humiliated me. I still have not forgotten how she betrayed my trust and scarred me. Those scars are still with me. They always will be. For good and for bad, they are part of who I am.

            I have never prayed for terrible things to happen to Y. T. I have never prayed for her to be harmed, to have terrible, tragic accidents happen to her or to the people she loves. I never wanted vengeance in any violent sort of way. But I did pray for her, quite often. I prayed and prayed, I prayed fervently that she would come to no harm, but that if there were any small amount of justice in this world, then I prayed that she would age badly. How are those wrinkles working out for you, Y. T.? Huh?

            Clearly, I have some work to do, especially when it comes to forgiveness. So, reading the next part of Jesus’ sermon from a level place in our scripture today is not easy for me. Because what Jesus declares in these verses is pretty radical stuff. He calls those who will listen to do some of the hardest work there is – to treat those who have hurt us with kindness, to forgive those who have harmed us, abused us, to turn the other cheek, to show kindness, grace, mercy, love even to our enemies. Jesus calls those who will listen to forgive those just as we have been forgiven, to show those who harm us not the retaliation that the world would encourage, but to show the mercy that God shows us.

            I think it is important to clarify here what forgiveness of those who have harmed us really is, because these verses have been used against the people who are harmed and to justify those who do the abusing. Forgiveness, like love, is not passive. It does not mean that if someone is being harmed or abused that they must continue to stay in that relationship, to continue to be abused, mistaking that as turning the other cheek. Forgiveness does not necessarily mean reconciliation or staying in a relationship. Sometimes, even with forgiveness, the ties that bind need to be severed.

            No, forgiveness is not passive. And forgiveness is not magic either. Someone once told me that true forgiveness is being willing to accept the fact that you will never get the apology that you deserve, but you forgive the person anyway.

            Forgiveness is not passive, and that’s what makes it hard. That’s what it makes so hard to do. Because we humans are messy, messy creatures. And so often the wounds that hurt us the most are the ones that cannot be seen. And it is those wounds that continue to hurt us. Forgiveness is so hard, but it can be the key to our healing.

            Forgiveness is not a one-time thing either. Just saying the words, “I forgive you,” does not make it happen. Forgiveness is a process. It is something that we have to work for and work at over and over again.

            And ultimately, forgiveness is not just about the other person. Forgiveness is about the one who is doing the forgiving. When I work to forgive those who have wounded me, those who have hurt me, I am working on myself. I am doing the work of healing for myself, much more than for them. As I forgive others as I have been forgiven, I learn to let go of my own bitterness, my own anger, my own grief, and frustration. Forgiveness is not passive. It is messy and it is hard, and it is a process.

            Several years ago, director Ken Burns, produced a series on World War II for PBS called “The War.” It was a powerful, haunting, and difficult series to watch. People who had lived through the war, who had fought in the war, told their stories. One man, a veteran from Mobile, Alabama, talked about his experience as a prisoner of war in a Japanese prison camp. It was brutal. He made it home safe, but not necessarily sound. He hated the people who had done such harm to him. He hated them. But he came to realize that the only person his hatred and bitterness was hurting was him. The men who had imprisoned him were living their own lives, dealing with their demons. They weren’t thinking about him. They weren’t worrying about how his life was going. So, this man, this veteran, decided he had to forgive them. He said that with the help of his wife and his preacher, he did just that. He worked and worked to forgive his enemies. And that forgiveness set him free.

            Lutheran preacher and teacher and writer, Nadia Bolz Weber wrote about the wounds caused by others as chains that bind us, and that forgiveness breaks those chains. She wrote,

            “Maybe retaliation or holding onto anger about the harm done to me doesn’t actually combat evil. Maybe it feeds it. Because in the end, if we’re not careful, we can actually absorb the worst of our enemy, and at some level, start to become them. So, what if forgiveness, rather than being a pansy way to say, ‘It’s okay,’ is actually a way of wielding bolt-cutters, and snapping the chains that link us? What if it’s saying, ‘What you did was so not okay, I refuse to be connected to it anymore.’? Forgiveness is about being a freedom fighter. And free people are dangerous people. Free people aren’t controlled by the past. Free people laugh more than others. Free people see beauty where others do not. Free people are not easily offended. Free people are unafraid to speak truth to stupid.  Free people are not chained to resentments. And that’s worth fighting for.”[i]

            And when we are free, free from the chains of resentment and anger and bitterness that binds us, maybe that’s when we can finally be open to the abundance that Jesus speaks of. The abundance that comes when we forgive, when we love, when we cease judging, when we give back, a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, all the love that we give, will be given in return, poured into our laps, overflowing our cups, flowing with abundance and abandon into a world that needs it so.

            Let all of God’s forgiven children, God’s loved children, and God’s blessed children say, “Alleluia.”

            Amen.

           



[i] Nadia Bolz Weber quoted by Debie Thomas in Journey With Jesus essay, “On Struggling to Forgive,” February 17, 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment