Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Peace Be With You -- Second Sunday of Easter


John 20:19-31
April 19, 2020

            Sometime in the years after Mother Teresa died, private writings of hers came to light. They were journals and letter, in which she wrote about her doubt. She wrote about her struggles with her faith. She wrote about trying to reconcile what she believed with what she saw on a daily basis in her work. And what she saw on a daily basis was some of the most extreme poverty in the world. She saw people who were outcasts because of their caste, because of physical disease and deformities, because of the terrible, gut twisting, mind blowing poverty in which they suffered. Mother Teresa, who was considered a saint long before she died, had doubts.
            I remember when these papers first came out, that there was an outcry. Mother Teresa confessing to doubt rattled the faith of some. Others saw this as proof that this humble woman was really a victim of the abusive institution that we call the church. But I’ll be honest, when I first heard about this I thought, “She was real. She was a real human being, a real person, who struggled and questioned and pushed back at God just like so many people … just like me.
            Doubt and I walk hand-in-hand. But that is something I hesitated to admit for a long, long time, especially as a pastor, and also because of stories like this one from John’s gospel; the story that I grew up hearing referred to as “Doubting Thomas.”
            I have been called a lot of things in my life; been given a few nicknames, some that I don’t mind and some that I hope have been forgotten. But one thing I never wanted to be called was “Doubting Thomas.” Whoever might be referring to you as a Doubting Thomas made it clear from their tone, their expression, the downward, disapproving turn of their mouth, that to be a Doubting Thomas was to be bad. If you were a Doubting Thomas, that meant that you didn’t believe, that you didn’t have a good, strong faith. It meant that you were somehow not right with God. Doubt equaled bad. Faith equaled good.
            But it seems to me, and I have said this before and I will say it again, the interpretations of this passage over the centuries has given Thomas the short end of the stick. Because in truth, Thomas was no different than the other disciples.
            When Jesus first appeared to them, they were hiding in a locked room, fearful that the authorities would come for them the same way they came for Jesus. And this is after the empty tomb. This is after Mary Magdalene ran to them and cried, “I have seen the Lord!” Easter had not changed them much. They were hiding. They were scared, and I suspect they were filled with doubt.
            But locked doors could not keep Jesus out. He came to them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he showed them his hands and his side. Again, he said, “Peace be with you. As my Father has sent me, so I send you.” And he breathed on them, giving them the Holy Spirit. This is John’s Pentecost.
            But Thomas was not there. For whatever reason, he was not with the other disciples behind those locked doors. He didn’t witness Jesus risen. He didn’t see the wounds on Jesus’ hands and side. The others told him the same thing Mary told them, “We have seen the Lord.” But Thomas has the boldness to say out loud what he wants, what he needs for belief.
            “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”
            Thomas wanted to see what the other disciples saw. Did that mean he was doubtful? Maybe, but doubt and faith are not opposites. Doubt and faith are different sides of the same coin. The opposite of faith is not doubt, it is certainty. Faith is, as William Sloan Coffin wrote, “Trusting without reservation.” Certainty is more about wanting to be right than it is about being faithful. And faithful is not just about what we believe or don’t believe. Faithful is also about what we do, about how we try to live.
            Mother Teresa saw some of the worst consequences of sin imaginable. And I’m not referring to the sin of the people she served and cared for. I am referring to the sin that values some lives more than others. The sin that states that some lives are expendable. The sin that places the material over the person. And because of what she saw, what she lived, she struggled with doubt. But heres’ the thing, she never stopped being faithful. She never walked away because of her doubt. She never turned her back on God because of her doubt. Doubt and faith and not opposites.
            And as for Thomas, when Jesus does to come him and gives him what he asked for, he responds with the most extraordinary confession of faith in scripture, “My Lord and my God!” Joy J. Moore, a professor at Luther Seminary and a contributor to WorkingPreacher wrote that “when the other disciples saw Jesus, they rejoiced. When Thomas saw Jesus, he praised. There’s a difference.”
            We are living through a time of unprecedented uncertainty, and if you are struggling with doubt you are not alone. But when Jesus came to the disciples and then again to Thomas, he didn’t say, “Here I am. Believe in me!” He said, “Peace be with you.”
            Peace be with you. It was not just a greeting or even a blessing. It was a gift. It was nourishment. It was healing. It was, along with the Holy Spirit, what they would need the most to do what they were called to do. It gave them the courage and the sustenance to go forward. It was forgiveness so they could also forgive. It was grace. It was love. It was peace.
            Peace be with you. Jesus comes into the places that we lock off from others. Jesus comes into the places where we hide our fear, our disappointments, our pain. Jesus comes into our broken places and says, “Peace be with you.”
            We can have peace without certainty. We can have the peace of Christ even if we doubt. We can have Christ’s peace even when everything around us is chaos. Jesus assuages our doubts not with a demand for belief and allegiance, but with peace. Peace be with you. Peace be with you. My Lord and my God.
            Let all of God’s children joyfully exclaim, “Alleluia!”
            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment