Tuesday, July 9, 2024

The Word: Knowledge, Wisdom, and A.I. -- Sermon Series 2024

John 1:1-5

July 7, 2024

 

            When Brent and I decided to make our big trip to Greece and Portugal, we also started doing our research – mainly on Portugal. In Greece, we have a local connection with my sister. But Lisbon was much less known to us. So, we watched travel videos about it, and I did Pinterest searches, and we googled all the recommendations for the things you must do in Lisbon. One of the sights that is a must see is the Monument to the Discoveries in Belem, which is the neighborhood that borders one end of the city. And Belem is the port at the Tagus River where the great Portuguese explorers like Vasco de Gama departed from on their voyages of discovery.

            The discoveries are a huge part of Portuguese history. The scale of this monument to them reflects that. It is a large stone sculpture of a Caravel, the ship that allowed the Portuguese mariners to cross the Atlantic Ocean. There are stone depictions of historical figures on either side of the Caravel, all leading up to the main one, Prince Henry the Navigator. Others like de Gama and Magellan are represented, as well as others who were vital to the discoveries.

            Now, as I understand it, for many generations Portuguese sailors were only able to sail along the coastline because they didn’t have the ships or the navigational abilities that could handle the Atlantic. The Atlantic Ocean was the great unknown. Who knew how far it went or how deep were its waters? Who knew the dangers that awaited in that great unknown? To say that it was a great risk to sail out into its depths was an understatement. We learned that in trying to find the right ship that could take on the Atlantic, at least 70 ships and their large crews were sent out and never heard from again. To lose that many ships, maybe many more, was a tremendous cost in lives, in materials, and in hope.

            However, with the advent of ships like the Caravel and innovations in navigational technology like the astrolabe, that helped sailors chart their path by following the stars, the Portuguese were able to cross the Atlantic. They were able to sail further and longer and map new trade routes, and they cornered the market on spices and other riches from distant lands. It made Portugal rich, and they were a mighty empire in the 15th and 16th centuries. Of course there is a fallout to this. Because on the other side of those leading these discoveries were peoples, cultures, and civilizations, who didn’t know they needed to be discovered. They had been in existence for thousands of years too, so why did they need to be discovered? They were already there. The reality is that the discoveries opened the door for slavery, colonization, exploitation of indigenous peoples and their lands. I read once that our technology is always farther along than our wisdom to know how to use it. I’m pretty sure this was in reference to the technology of this century and the last, but it seems to me that it rings true for every human innovation since figuring out how to start fire and realizing that a circle that rolls moves things faster. And it would be true of the discoveries as well.

            So, here we are at, maybe not the dawn of new technology, but certainly in the early days of this technology known as artificial intelligence. Before I go any further, I need to make a full discloser. In trying to decide how I would structure a sermon series about faith and artificial intelligence – from now on known as AI – I used AI to get started. You may not realize this, but if you have Microsoft you have access to AI. Microsoft has Copilot, your everyday AI companion. All you have to do is pull up Copilot, type in a question or key words, and it will generate an answer. I ran my questions about this sermon series several different times using different keywords. Copilot gave me some possible outlines, which got me thinking, and then I put the outline together that I wanted to work with. I sat and read through a variety of scripture passages, played around with themes for each Sunday, etc. etc. My point in telling you this is that while AI gave me a creative nudge, I did the preparation and the theological legwork myself.

            I emphasize this, because one of the ethical landmines of AI is that it does the work that people are supposed to do. I have a good friend who teaches at Belmont, and she told me that they not only have to check students’ work for plagiarism, but teachers also must check to see that it wasn’t written by AI. And now, she told me recently, they have to check to see that a student’s parent has not tried to “help them” by taking the student’s work and using AI to clean it up.

AI is everywhere, more than most of us realize. So, what is it exactly? Here is one definition of AI that I found from Techopedia.

Artificial intelligence (AI) is the development, deployment, and maintenance of computational systems that can replicate certain types of human intelligence. Currently, this aspect of computer science is focused on creating algorithms and programming machine learning (ML) models that can analyze vast amounts of data to gain insights and make data-driven decisions autonomously.

            And then there is also generative AI, which according to Merriam Webster “is a computer tool that can create text that sounds like it was written by a human, based on a given starting point.”

            This is all heady stuff, but what does it mean for us? What does it mean for the church? What does it mean for our faith? Is the advancement of AI really that big of a deal when it comes to our faith, except that we want to make sure Pastor Amy isn’t using AI to write her sermons for her? Which, on my honor, I did not. I mean technology is with us to stay. We learned very quickly at the onset of the pandemic that keeping going as a church meant using technology – whether it was the weekly church emails to keep everyone informed about protocols to zoom meetings for session and for bible studies to broadcasting our services on Facebook and YouTube, a practice that will continue. And most of the time it’s great to have powerful computers in the palm of our hands. When you’re in a foreign city and you’re trying to navigate from one site to the next, it's reassuring to have a GPS program literally at your fingertips that can help you do just that.

            But I keep going back to that statement I referenced earlier. Our technology is always more advanced than our wisdom to use it. This was true for the technology that powered the discoveries and it’s true for the technology of AI. It may be helpful to have technology that can simulate human intelligence, but do we have the wisdom to know how to use it?

            It seems to me that one reality of human existence is that we are not necessarily born with humility. That’s something that we have to learn, most often in the hardest of ways. One of the overarching themes of scripture is that the people of God kept thinking they knew better than God. It got them kicked out of the garden, it got them stuck wandering in the wilderness for 40 years, it got them sent into exile. It’s not just that humans have a hard time listening and trusting God, it’s that we think we know better. We may not consciously think that, but our actions speak volumes. And it’s not that I think God created us to be mindless drones, just following along blindly. We were created with minds that think and given the gift of reason and free will. God created us with the ability to choose. But God also created us for relationship, with God and with one another. God created out of love. And all that we do, say, and learn should be to build up that love, that relationship.

            That is the knowledge that comes from God, and I think that is the Word that John’s gospel is referring to. In the beginning was the Word, the logos of God. The logos of God is the knowledge of God, the wisdom of God, the creative spark of God, the love of God, the breath of God. The Word of God was at the beginning of creation. This is John’s version of the creation story. I don’t believe he was trying to rewrite Genesis, but I do suspect that he was trying to add to the depth of what creation was and is. In the beginning was the Word – it was the fullness of God’s wisdom and love for all creation, including us humans, despite our lack of humility, our lack of trust, our lack of understanding. God loves us in spite of ourselves, so God the Word, wisdom and knowledge, put on flesh and came to live among us, for our salvation and to show us what it means to be fully human, truly human.

            As I said earlier, one aspect of being human is that we’re not necessarily born understanding that knowledge requires humility. I’m all for intellectual pursuits, I love learning, and increasing our knowledge. And I’m not opposed to technology. It can help human life in so many ways. But I have to go back to the knowledge that I possess – or think that I possess – versus the knowledge of God. I have to return to the God that knows me and, I think, longs to be known by me. I don’t think God wants us to not use our minds, our brains, our intellects. But I also think God wants us to understand that with all we know, we’ll never know all. I think God wants us to approach knowledge with humility. When Paul wrote about knowledge puffing up, he was talking specifically about food sacrificed for idols, but his point about thinking that we know better than others, especially that we know better than God, can be extended to many subjects – including AI.

            We can know a lot. Our knowledge can be extensive, but if it isn’t used for the purpose of building up others, of helping others, of creating a better life for others, than we’re just puffed up and puffing up. We are not building up. We are not extending the love of God. We are not sharing the love of Christ.

            So, where does this leave us? As a preaching professor of mine used to ask, what does this mean for us on Tuesday? I’m not sure I have an answer to that yet. That’s what we’ll be grappling with over the next few Sundays. But I know that AI is with us to stay, and it is probably going to be present in more and more aspects of our lives, including church. So, I hope that I will practice what I preach … that I will approach this subject with humility and the recognition that with all that I know and all that I may learn, there is more out there in God’s universe than I can ever possibly understand. And that’s okay. May we all grow in wisdom and love, and may we more fully know the God who loves us and longs to be known by us. Thanks be to God.

            Let all of God’s children say, “Alleluia.”

            Amen.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment