Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Spirit Filled -- Pentecost Sunday

Acts 2:1-21

May 19, 2024 

            “Where are you sheltering?”

            That was the text I read from my former Music Director and very current friend, Alice Sanders. It was 2013, and the kids and I were about to experience the first really bad spring tornado since we’d moved to Oklahoma. The word shelter had always been a comforting word for me. Shelter meant safety. Shelter meant protection. Shelter meant provision and care. It still means all that, but when you live on the western side of tornado alley – or the eastern side of it as we are learning in our home state – shelter takes on a more ominous tone when it’s part of the phrase “sheltering from the storm.”  In that context shelter and sheltering feels more precarious than anything else.

            We ended up sheltering from the storm more than a few times while we lived in the Sooner State. That first time, when Alice asked me where we were sheltering we left the house and went toward where Alice and her husband Glenn were at Oklahoma Baptist University. But the storm was hitting hard, so we pulled over and took refuge in a fire station. After that we sheltered in our bathroom. When the kids and I were sheltering, I always managed to stay calm and relatively collected because I wanted to keep them calm and relatively collected. But on the few occasions when it was just me at home alone, I would curl up in our bathtub with a pillow over my head, shaking and listening to the fierce wind blow and bluster and rage around my house. Through my fear and sometimes my tears, I would pray that the storm’s cacophony would soon be over and that our house would still be standing once it was.

            The seemingly never-ending roaring sound that we hear when a storm is raging around us makes me wonder what the disciples heard when this mighty wind from heaven began to blow. I haven’t always given much thought about the sound that the coming of the Spirit made, but the noise must have been deafening. I can imagine that it arrived as this intense wall of sound, and that must have been absolutely terrifying to the disciples. Maybe, like me, they were afraid that their shelter wouldn’t hold, that the walls of their upper room would soon crumble around them. But that wasn’t all they heard. Along with the sound of the wind, there was the sound of the flames, the hissing and the crackling as the holy fire descended upon each of them. And if that wasn’t loud enough, suddenly their own voices added to the din as they began to speak in languages they’d never spoken before.

            All of this, the noise, the chaos, the sound, must have been terrifying – terrifying for those who witnessed it and to those who were experiencing it. Scary isn’t usually a word we associate with Pentecost is it? As I’ve told folks before, Pentecost is one of my favorite feast days in the whole church year. It’s a celebration. It’s joyful. We get to wear red. But I think I love Pentecost so much because I focus on the end. I know the rest of the story. It’s different when you are in the midst of the storm, when you’re sheltering in your bathtub or praying in an upper room. When the storm and its cacophony has descended and you are sitting in the middle of it, you aren’t thinking about the rest of the story. You are just thinking about how to survive while its happening. A storm is scary for us. This descent of the Spirit must have been terrifying for the disciples, and they didn’t know the rest of the story, did they?

When Jesus ascended, he told them that they would be baptized with the Spirit. But what does that mean, Jesus? What will that look like? What will that feel like? Even with all Jesus told them, they surely could not foresee what being baptized by the Holy Spirit would actually be like. It would be loud, it would be strange, it would involve the wind of heaven and holy fire, and it would open their mouths to speak languages they had never spoken before. It would change everything. It would change them.

As we think about the scripture this morning, this familiar passage, let’s try to imagine it from the disciples’ and the witnesses’ perspective – like those who do not know the outcome, who do not understand what it means to be Spirit-filled. Not yet anyway.

As I said, it must have been terrifying. I don’t think of Pentecost as terrifying because I love this day so much and I’m glad we celebrate it like we do. But I also think that my love for this day comes from my domesticated and rather tame understanding of Pentecost, at what happened that day, at what happens any day that the Spirit shows up. When the Holy Spirit shows up, it shakes us up. When the Holy Spirit shows up, things change, people change. When the Holy Spirit shows up, we are reminded that our belief that we have control is often more of an illusion than reality. If this story of Pentecost teaches us anything it’s that when the Holy Spirit shows up, it’s not always a sweet, sweet spirit in this place. It’s not always tame and gentle. It’s not always sweet.

I realize that I pray for the power of the Holy Spirit to be with us and work through us just about every Sunday. But I have also realized that often what I’m really praying for is not that the Holy Spirit will work through me or guide me, but that the Holy Spirit will just come along on the path I’ve chosen. Instead of praying, “Come Holy Spirit, come.” I think what I’m really praying, without speaking it,

“Follow, Holy Spirit, follow.” “Do what I want you to do, Holy Spirit. Abide by my will, Holy Spirit.” “Follow, Holy Spirit, follow.”

But that’s not just how it works. The Holy Spirit blows where it will. The Holy Spirit does not obey our command, our wishes, our plans. The Holy Spirit blows where it will. And that is scary. And that is unnerving. And that does throw us headlong into the depths of the unknown. And when we think about the Spirit in this way, if we are open to the fullness of what the Spirit does and what it brings, then maybe, just maybe, we can see that we are more like those disciples and those first witnesses than we think. We go into this day knowing the outcome of their story, but the reality is, we don’t know the outcome of ours.

We’re still smack dab in the middle of our story, aren’t we? The Spirit came to the disciples on that Pentecost. But Pentecost, I mean the coming of the Holy Spirit Pentecost, is not limited to one day or one season or one age or one generation. Pentecost is any time the Spirit comes. Pentecost is any time the Spirit moves and descends. Pentecost is any time that people become Spirit-filled. And here’s something that a scholar pointed out in a commentary that I studied this week that I have never really considered before. Pentecost did not happen just to the disciples and only for the disciples. It didn’t. That’s how I’ve looked at it in the past thought. That’s been lens through which I’ve viewed this story. Pentecost happened to the disciples. Yes, when the Spirit came on that fateful day, it did change the disciples. Their change was amazing and visible to anyone who had eyes to see. They went from being frightened and confused to being courageous and confident. They went from being timid to bold. They preached and taught and led and challenged and the good news of the gospel spread – like wildfire.

But when those tongues of flames descended upon them, it wasn’t so that they could understand but so that others could understand. Think about that for a moment. When the Spirit descended on the disciples, it was not so they could understand but so that others could understand.

When the disciples became Spirit filled, others, outsiders, strangers, foreigners, heard the Word of God in their own language, in their native tongue. It didn’t matter that some folks sneered and mocked, others believed. Hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands believed.

Becoming Spirit filled was not just for the disciples’ sake, but for the sake of the others as well. Becoming Spirit filled does not just change us, it changes the world around us. When we are changed by the Spirit we are changed for the sake of all God’s children.

And what would the world look like if all God’s children were Spirit filled? Would it be perfect? Probably not. But maybe more of us would show mercy when it was needed and forgiveness when we were asked. Would there still be people who sneer and turn away. Probably. But instead of judgment they would receive compassion, and maybe if that compassion was strong enough, they might turn back. Would the world that is inhabited by Spirit filled people be one where war and disease and poverty reigned? I’m not sure, but I think hope would outweigh despair, and love would be stronger than fear. And when we can love more and fear less, we are able to give more and trust more and be more of the people God created and called us to be.

When the Spirit comes, when we are Spirit filled, change is inevitable. And change is scary. And change is hard. But when we open ourselves to the Holy Spirit, and trust that God is with us, and put our faith in the One who showed us what it really means to be human, than we can face those scary changes and live into faith and trust that the Spirit is calling us to the places and the people who need us most.

May we be Spirit filled, and may we trust that  however our story might end, God will be there just as God is here. Thanks be to God.

Let all of God’s Spirit filled children say, “Alleluia!”

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment