Tuesday, May 7, 2024

I Chose You -- Sixth Sunday of Easter

John 15:9-17 (Acts 10:44-48)

May 5, 2024

 

            When Zach was in second grade, I went to pick him up from school and I had a chance to chat with his teacher. I didn’t get to do that very often because pick-up time was usually organized chaos. But this particular day was different, so his teacher and I were talking about how he was doing in school, his abilities, and his struggles, etc. She commented to me that it was such a treat for her to see friendships develop between the kids. Zach and another little boy in the class were becoming good friends, and they spent as much time as possible talking and talking and talking. The talking wasn’t a problem when they were doing their classwork, but when they were supposed to be getting ready for recess or lunch or getting to the bus to go home, she would have to remind them to stop talking and get a move on. Because we lived in Iowa when my kids were little, several months out of the year required lots of extra clothing to go outside – like snowpants and boots and waterproof gloves. It was already a time consuming process to get all this gear on, so if the kids dawdled and talked too much it made it even longer. But his teacher wasn’t upset about it. She was a veteran teacher; she was used to it. She just smiled and told me that this was a special time in a child’s life – the time when they really began to make friends.

            The word friends has taken on new meaning since the advent of social media. On some platforms, I am “friends” with people I’ve never met. But I’m “friends” with them because other friends connected us. I am also “friends” with people I rarely see and have no real contact with outside of the internet. And I’m even “friends” with people I didn’t much care for when we were in close proximity with one another – say junior high school. I once read a comment from a fellow preacher who said that friendship has been cheapened by social media. I can see how this is true.

            Maybe social media has cheapened the idea of friendship, but despite that, I stay with it. For one thing, if you want to plan a high school reunion or reunion of any kind, social media is the best. Social media has also helped me connect with friends I believed I’d lost. And on more than one occasion, social media has helped my friends and me help another friend who was struggling from trouble in life and in her circumstance. There are people that I’m friends with who I wish I had worked harder at interacting with when we saw each other more often. I wish I had worked harder at seeing them as fellow children of God, trying to figure out life the same as I was. If social media has cheapened the idea of friendship in some ways, in other ways it has widened my understanding of it. Social media has helped me think outside the box when it comes to friendship.

            Jesus might not have referred to his understanding of friendship with the disciples as thinking outside the box, but by calling them friends he was changing their status. They were no longer just disciples to a teacher or servants to a master, they were friends. When Jesus called them friends, he was not referring to pals or buddies or chums. He was referring to them as loved ones. Being his friends meant that they were part of his family, an integral part of his life and of him. Being friends meant more to Jesus than just a label or category. It was a relationship with God in God. Friendship meant abiding, remaining in God as well as with one another. Friendship meant obeying the commands of the True Friend, the True Vine. The number one commandment that Jesus gave was to love one another. You are my friends, you abide in me, and I abide in the Father. We all abide together in love. So, love one another as I have loved you. I chose you, and this is what I command. Love one another. And this is what love is, laying down one’s life for one’s friends.

            This is the love that Jesus embodied for his friends. Jesus literally laid down his life. He went to the cross and sacrificed his life for the love of his friends. However, Jesus does not only lay down his life for the disciples or the people of Galilee or the folks from his hometown of Nazareth. The cross was and the cross is for this world.

            Earlier in John’s gospel we hear the words “for God so loved the world …” It was for the world that Jesus was willing to die. Jesus not only preached sacrificial love, but he also lived it and he died for it. For God so loved the world – the cosmos, the entirety of God’s creation. So, I don’t think I am unfairly stretching the analogy to say that the entire world consists of Jesus’ friends, or at least a wide and beautiful diversity of people Jesus calls to be his friends and chooses to be his friends.

            In our text from Acts, Peter also gets a new understanding of what it means to be friends. All of chapter 10 consists of Peter being pushed to see through new eyes what it means to be clean and unclean, pure and impure. It begins with a centurion named Cornelius and Peter’s vision of a sheet filled with animals that by the standards of the Law were considered unclean. Peter wanted to obey the Law, to stick with what he knew and understood about what was right and what was wrong. But God insists through this vision that Peter see beyond the box that he previously dwelled in. This was not merely about clean and unclean food. This was about people. God was choosing people, calling people, all kinds of people. Saul, who persecuted believers, was chosen and called. Cornelius, a Roman centurion was chosen and called. And as we read in our verses in this chapter, the Holy Spirit descended even upon the Gentiles. In other words, a whole lot of people were chosen and called and answered that call to abide in God through Christ. A whole lot of different kinds of people were now friends.

            I know that this kind of friendship goes beyond social networking and the shallow kinds of friendships that we experience. I know that befriending the entire world is a daunting task to say the least. But I do think these passages remind us of the fact that loving God means loving God’s people, all of God’s people. And Jesus did not just suggest this, he commanded it. He commanded us to love one another, to see the other as a loved one, a member of the family. As he chose us, we must choose each other.

            Love comes up a lot in the gospels, and indeed in the whole of scripture. So, I know that I have said this before. Love is not just about how we feel. Love is not just warm fuzzy happy feelings. Let’s face it, we don’t always feel warm fuzzy even about the people we love most in the world because all of us make mistakes and mess up and hurt the people we love. Love is not just something we feel, love is something that we do. Love is a verb. Love is action. Love is deed. We may not feel love, but we must live love. We don’t have to feel love to live love. And we should always strive to live love.

Yet, it occurs to me that when Jesus commanded us to love one another, maybe he did mean that we should feel it as well. Maybe we were commanded to show love, to enact love, and to feel love for one another. By commanded us to feel love, Jesus commands us to change our hearts, change our minds, and change what we do as well. Maybe the command to love one another is to truly believe that the world is filled with our friends, our loved ones. How different would the world look if we not only acted this way, but felt this way, thought this way? What would the world look like, what would our country and communities look like, what would our church look like, if we strived to live out the commandment Jesus gave us? If we lived as though we were all friends? It is a tall order indeed. But Jesus is not just our role model. Jesus is our True Vine. We abide in him. He is the source of our love. He is the source of our friendship. He is the One from whom all friendship comes, and in whom we abide, remain, and stay. He chose us and calls us to choose one another. He laid down his life for his friends, and he did so with a loving heart. Can we do the same? Can we feel the same?

Let all of God’s children and all of our friends say, “Alleluia.”

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment