Thursday, December 7, 2023

Keep Awake: First Sunday of Advent -- Hope

 

Mark 13:24-37

December 3, 2023

 

            Babysitting was my primary source of income when I was a young teenager. Until I was old enough for parttime jobs, I babysat. I babysat on and off all the way through seminary. I love kids and I had no money, so babysitting was the way to bring my love for kids and my need for cash together.

            When I began to babysit, my mom taught me early on that I always needed to pick up before the parents came home. I didn’t have to clean their house for them, but if the kids had eaten something I needed to gather all the dishes and get them to the kitchen; load the dishwasher if that was an option, but at least get them collected and in the sink. After I put the kids to bed, I needed to pick up whatever toys or books might be scattered around. I took my mom seriously and I always made sure to do that. I told Phoebe the same thing when she started babysitting. Parents appreciate coming home to a picked up house.

            Because I was never exactly sure when parents would arrive back home, I worked to keep things cleaned up as I went. I didn’t wait until a few minutes before I thought the parents might arrive to start cleaning. I did it right away. I didn’t want to be caught asleep on the sofa with toys and dishes scattered all around me. When the parents came home, I wanted a neat house to be the first thing they saw.

            Waiting for parents to arrive at the end of a babysitting gig is not quite the same thing as what Mark is describing in these verses from chapter 13, but you get the idea. In the last paragraph of our reading, Jesus tells about a man who goes on a journey and leaves his servants in charge of their work and tells the doorkeeper to be on watch for his return. You don’t know when the man is going to return so keep awake, be ready, keep awake. Don’t drift off. Don’t relax your stance. The man of the house could return at any moment. Keep awake.

Warnings to stay awake. Stars falling. A darkened sun and moon. Heavenly powers shaken up.  Not exactly images we normally picture at the beginning of Advent. There’s no babe lying in a manger for Mark. No cattle lowing, no shepherds being led to the child by a host of heavenly messengers. 

Instead on this first Sunday of Advent, we have what is known by Biblical scholars as Mark’s little apocalypse. This chapter begins with Jesus’ predictions about the destruction of the temple. Then Jesus and a few of the disciples – Peter, James, John and Andrew – retreat to the Mount of Olives, look out over the temple and discuss the end times.

The disciples question Jesus.

“Tell us, when will this be; and what will be the signs that all these things are about to be accomplished?”

Jesus tells them about many signs. False prophets and false messiahs. Beware those who come in his name, making claims in his name, yet in reality lead the faithful astray. Wars, nation rising up against nation. Earthquakes, famines, natural disasters.  Don’t be alarmed, these are the beginning of the birth pangs.

There will be suffering, Jesus warns them. The disciples will be forced to testify to the good news in front of councils and governments. But don’t worry, he reassures them, the Holy Spirit will speak through them. And again, there will be false prophets and false messiahs pointing the people in the wrong direction. Leading the elect astray. So, wake up! Stay awake! 

Then we come to our verses. When the end times truly arrive, cosmic signs will fill the sky. Stars, sun, moon. Then Jesus, the Son of Man, will come surrounded by clouds in his power and glory. Angels will be sent to bring the elect from every corner of heaven and earth. All this will happen in God’s time. Not even the angels or the Son himself know when the end will come.  Only God the father, and he is not telling. So, stay awake! Remain on watch, wait open-eyed for the master’s return. Because no one knows when he will come.

Apocalyptic literature and predictions about the end times, such as what is found in Daniel, the book of Revelation and this chapter in Mark, usually come out of a community that is oppressed and under siege by political, religious, or military leaders. The situation in the community seems so utterly dire and desperate that their only hope is in divine intervention. No mortal means can end their suffering. Only action from God and God alone. Then their suffering will be justified. A new world will be issued in.

The word in Greek that gives us our word Apocalypse does not refer to the end of the world. When Jesus speaks about end times, he is not talking about the earth blowing up on God’s orders with nothing remaining. Apocalypse means an unveiling, a revealing. The end times that Jesus refers to are the times when God will be fully revealed, completely unveiled. They will see God. And when you are living in a crisis moment, when you are living with catastrophe all around you, what more do you want than to see God; to see God revealed and unveiled? What more do we want than to know that God is right here with us? Look, there is God! Can we see God? Can we finally see Him?

            Can we finally see God?

            I admit that I’m having a hard time with seeing God lately. I know that may shock some folks, and it certainly says more about my struggling faith than it does about God. I know that God is with us. I just can’t see God with us these days. I can’t see God because catastrophe and chaos feels very near, very close at hand.

            The war in Ukraine goes on and on. The war between Israel and Hamas is brutal, and not only do we read or hear about its brutality, but we can also see it through live news coverage. We can hear the anguished voices of children who have lost their parents and parents who have lost their children. The news here at home isn’t much better. There is violence and anguish and sometimes it all gets to be too much. When I’m listening to the news in my car, I reach a point where I can’t listen anymore. I turn off the news and I listen to one of my audiobooks or music or nothing at all. And at those moments, other moments too, but especially those moments when I hear and feel the anguish of the world, I long to see God. I long for God to be revealed, to be unveiled. I long to see God at last.

            Jesus begins our passage by saying, “But in those days, after that suffering.” But in these days, the suffering is current and real. It’s happening right now. It hurts to feel this suffering, and you may be feeling that hurt too, and if you are, you probably wish that you could come to church and just sing Christmas carols and admire the decorations in the sanctuary and look forward to the coming of a little baby into the world. Instead you get a little apocalypse and talk about the end times.

            But remember that the apocalyptic writings that we have in our scriptures came out of communities who were being persecuted, oppressed, who were living in chaos and with catastrophe close at hand. They longed to see God’s revelation. They longed to see God revealed at last. It’s what gave them hope. To look for the revealing of God in their midst kept their hope alive. And isn’t hope what we need as well? This is the first Sunday of Advent, the Sunday of this season when Hope is the key word, it is the theme. Hope.

            And our Hope, our hope that comes from faith, is not a blind hope. It isn’t a fingers crossed and a wishful thinking kind of hope. Our Hope with a capital H is hope that names the reality in which we live. It names that which is hard and scary and disturbing. In fact, if we can’t name it here, in this sacred space, in this sacred moment, where can we name it? No, with our Hope we name the chaos in which we live. We name the catastrophe that is all around us, and then we proclaim Hope even more. As long as we are living, as long as we are breathing and moving and in this world God has given us, we have reason to Hope. We have reason to Hope because in spite of appearances there is good and there is love. We have reason to Hope because we have been given hands and hearts and minds and bodies to do the work of God in the world – in the larger world and in our corner of it. We have reason to Hope because we have the ability and the responsibility to act, to do, to create, to live in such a way that our Hope becomes the Hope for others.

            We have reason to Hope because in the growing darkness the light from one candle can make all the difference. We have reason to Hope because in the growing darkness, we are finally able to see the stars. Advent is a season of expectation, of waiting, of hoping, and trusting that our Hope, our constant and abiding Hope will be fulfilled in the coming of Christ into our world. As a babe. As a man. As God revealed. So I say to you and I say to myself, keep watch. Keep awake. Keep watch. Keep awake. Our Hope is at hand.

            Let all of God’s children say, “Alleluia.”

            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment