Wednesday, November 1, 2023

As Yourself -- Reformation Sunday

Matthew 22:34-46

October 29, 2023

 

            At the beginning of January, I encouraged all of us to take a Star Word. Star Words are an Epiphany practice that our congregation began a couple of years ago, and the word we pick is really the word that picks us. For whatever reason, whether it’s clear to us or not, our Star Word is a word that we need to live with and live into over the course of the coming year. If you didn’t take a Star Word last January, you’ll get your chance again in just a few months.

            The Star Word that I chose last January – or the one that chose me – was “tenderness.” When I got it, I thought, “Hmm. I guess this means I need to be mindful of how tender I am with people this year. Maybe there will be particular people I need to be tender with.”

            Within just a couple of weeks of receiving my word, my mom died. Five days later, I fell and broke my wrist. Without warning, I went from days that seemed fairly normal and typical to grieving and to hurting both physically and emotionally. And I went from feeling relatively in control to feeling helpless, needing assistance with the small, everyday things I generally take for granted, like taking a shower, opening a bottle, and tying my own shoes. And because so much seemed to be happening at the same time, it took me a little while to realize that the person I needed to show tenderness to was me.

            It should seem obvious, I guess, that I needed to show myself some tenderness during that time. I don’t think anyone would have argued that with me, but I discovered that I’m not very good at being tender with myself. I think I should just push through pain or grief or both. I’m more than happy to help someone else. If someone else in my circumstance had come to me needing help with a small task, I would have done it gladly. I’m sure you would have too. But when it was me needing the help, I was embarrassed and even ashamed that I couldn’t do for myself. But life can be so hard and sometimes we can’t help ourselves, so a little tenderness toward self is necessary.

            I know that I’m not alone in this, in struggling with tenderness toward myself. I think our struggle with is connected to our culture’s equating self-compassion, self-tenderness, and self-love with self-centeredness and self-obsession. And certainly there are self-centered people out there, plenty of them, who take it to the extreme of narcissism. But that’s a whole other sermon.

            The thing is, showing yourself some tenderness, some compassion does not mean that you are self- centered. However, being filled with self-hatred or toxic shame or guilt can make you self-obsessed without even realizing it. Brent and I are big fans of the public radio show, The Hidden Brain. If you don’t catch it live, you can listen to the podcast. About a month ago, Brent told me about an episode that focused on self-compassion and how necessary it is. The guest was a psychologist who told a difficult story about herself from her days as a graduate assistant. I won’t go into the details, but she messed up big time. She made bad decisions, life-changing errors in judgment, and she suffered overwhelming shame, guilt, and self-loathing because of them. In her words, she was a mess. And the more she focused on her shame and guilt and self-hatred, the more inward she turned. The more self-centered she became. Amid this inner chaos and with her outer life in tatters, she was invited to attend a meditation group. She went reluctantly, but through the process of sitting quietly and mindfully, she began to grasp just how self-centered her shame and guilt had made her. It had become all about her, even though it was negative, it was still all about her.  And it wasn’t self-love that did it. It was the lack thereof.

            This changed her life. This changed her research. She quoted studies that have been done that show that people who are constantly berating themselves, beating themselves up, who refuse to cut themselves some slack are more self-centered than those who do. She stated that self-compassion is not about letting ourselves off the hook for our mistakes or not being accountable. It’s about recognizing that we are all a mess. And the people who acknowledge that, who show themselves compassion and tenderness and love, are much better at loving others. To show yourself compassion opens you up to the needs of other people. If you can be compassionate to yourself, you are better at being compassionate to others.

            In this passage where Jesus states what we know as The Greatest Commandment – and it really is – we most often focus on only two tenets of it. We are to love God and to love our neighbor. But as we read this morning, that is not the end of the sentence. We are to love God and love our neighbor as ourselves. I think we overlook this last part to our detriment. And I think Jesus knew this.

            At this point in Matthew’s gospel, Jesus knows that he is in the last days of his life. He knows that those in power are plotting against him, plotting to have him killed. And as scholar Debi Thomas pointed out, it is interesting that when he is asked this question about which commandment is the greatest, he doesn’t quote doctrine to them. He doesn’t tell them to adhere to dogma. No, he tells them to love God with all your heart, your soul, and your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself. And Jesus isn’t calling them to participate in a feeling or an emotion, he is calling them to a way of living. Love God with everything you are, your whole being, and love your neighbor as yourself.

            And how did Jesus show this kind of love? How was he a role model and an example of this kind of love? Jesus had compassion for those who suffered. He had compassion for the crowds who were hungry and who were like lost sheep without a shepherd. He had compassion for the blind, the lame, the voiceless, the ignored, and the marginalized. He had compassion for those who were labeled as sinners and therefore less than by others. And he had compassion for those who did the labeling in the first place. He spoke truth to them, but he still did it with love. Jesus’ compassion was not just a feeling. He demonstrated it. He acted on it and lived it. In Greek, the word for compassion relates to the gut. When you have compassion for someone, you feel it in your gut. Your gut twists in compassion for others. When you see the suffering of others, whoever they may be, your stomach clenches in empathy and compassion for them. And you act on that compassion. You act on that twisting of your gut for someone else’s suffering.

            When reading this passage in the past, I’ve thought of Jesus’ words as linear. You love God first, then you love your neighbor, and if you have time, throw in a little love for yourself. But I think that this is far more cyclical than it is linear. Loving God with everything we have, we everything we are opens us up to loving our neighbors, and loving our neighbors opens us up to loving God even more. And loving ourselves makes us more loving of our neighbors, and when we do both, we love God even more. And when we love God even more, we love ourselves and our neighbors even more. It goes around and around and around.

            To love God, to love our neighbor, and to love ourselves is not just an intellectual exercise. It is a physical, physiological, emotional, mindful, active response. To love God, to love our neighbor, to love ourselves is to see suffering and pain and hurt, no matter who is experiencing it, and respond with love, compassion, and tenderness. And to love God, neighbor, and ourselves, is to act on all of the above. Our neighbors here and around the world are suffering. Humanity is suffering. No matter what side you have chosen in this terrible war in Israel- Palestine, humanity is suffering. Humanity is suffering in Ukraine and in Russia. Humanity is suffering in the Sudan. Humanity is suffering in Mexico. Humanity is suffering in Lewiston, Maine and in Nashville and Uvalde and Baltimore and Buffalo. Humanity is suffering, and I’m not saying that all of this suffering would be alleviated or ended altogether if we just knew how to show ourselves a little more compassion, if we took the words “as yourself” a little more seriously. But if we can be compassionate to ourselves, more tender and forgiving to the mess we sometimes are, then maybe we could be more compassionate, tender, and forgiving of the mess in others. Maybe self-compassion helps to widen the circle of love that Jesus called us to follow. Maybe if we could allow ourselves to be human, then we could remember that even those we might consider enemies are also human and worthy of the same dignity and respect that we are, and vice versa.

            One final note, when we love God, we’re not just loving an idea or a concept or even some being in the sky. We’re loving the One who became like us, who took on our skin and our blood and our bones, who took on our frailties and our limits, so we could finally figure out what it means to really be human. And thanks be to God for this, because when it comes down to it, it is the incarnation, the belief that God became like us, that keeps me going. It gets me up in the morning. It gets me in this pulpit, even when I feel that I have nothing to offer, even when I feel as though my faith has shriveled in the face of humanity’s suffering. God became us because of love for us so we could finally learn how to love God and love one another and ourselves. Humanity is suffering, and the Greatest Commandment is needed now more than ever before. Indeed, it is the only thing that will save us.

            Let all of God’s children, all of humanity, say, “Alleluia.”

            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment