Thursday, April 27, 2023

My Message to You -- Easter Sunday

Matthew 28:1-10

April 9. 2023

 

            Being married to Brent Stoker means that great music is a huge part of our life together. Brent has introduced me to some wonderful music since we’ve been together, and alone with all the other things about him and our family that I am grateful for, I am especially grateful for the music. At some point in the last two years, Brent played songs for me by Levon Helm. If you know the group The Band, you know Levon Helm’s music. He was their brilliant drummer, songwriter, and one of the main singers.

            I knew The Band, but I didn’t know Levon’s solo work. So, one day in the car, Brent played me some of it. While I liked everything I heard, I was floored by the song, “When I Go Away.” A simple summary of the lyrics is that it is a song about dying. Levon didn’t write the song, at least the lyrics aren’t credited to him, and I don’t know if he recorded it as he prepared for his own death, but this is a song about dying. And yet it is the most joyful, uplifting, exuberant, spiritual, faithful, hopeful song I’ve heard in a long time. We listened to it, and I was overwhelmed. I’ve given strict instructions to Brent that if I should die first, “When I Go Away” is to be played as the finish to whatever service there may be.

            You would think that a song about dying would sound like a mournful dirge. But this song rocks! It’s part gospel, part rock n’ roll, part country. The opening verse is,

“Early in the morning, a-when the church bells toll,

The choir’s gonna sing and the hearse will roll

On down to the graveyard where it’s cold and gray

And then the sun’s gonna shine through the shadows when I go away.”

            I think the point being made is that dying is a gift not a curse. Dying is just the entry point to the next life, a better life, when all the sorrows and troubles and trials of this world are left behind. Whenever I listen to it, and I’ve listened to it a lot at this point, it makes me feel happy and hopeful and glad. I play it when I’m sad or discouraged, and it lifts my spirits. The next verse of the song is this,

“Don’t want no sorrow for this old orphan boy

I don’t want no crying only tears of joy

I’m gonna see my mother gonna see my father

And I’ll be bound for glory in the morning when I go away.”

            As much as I love this song, when my mom died a few months ago, I found that I couldn’t listen to it. That verse hit too close to home. My faith and hope are grounded in my belief that I will see my mother and father again someday; but I knew that my heart wasn’t ready to hear that verse. So, I stopped playing Levon for a while.

            Until a couple of days ago. I was driving home, and I found myself longing to hear Levon. It was on one of those rainy, gloomy days that we’ve had lately, and I longed to hear a song that would make my heart glad. This song makes my heart glad. I knew that if I listened to it again, I would also have to hear once more the verse about seeing his mother and father, but I felt like could handle it. So I played it, and I sang. And when I heard those lyrics about an old orphan boy seeing his parents one more time, I cried. But I kept singing. My tears were tears of grief, true, but they were also tears of joy. And I realized as I sang that my heart is healing a little, and I am grateful.

            Since I’m jamming to this wonderful song again, it’s message has been on my mind especially considering today, Easter Sunday. Certainly, the ultimate message of “When I Go Away” that death of this life, in this world, is just the gateway to glory is one understanding of resurrection. Through Jesus’ resurrection, death for all of us has been overcome. We may die to these earthly lives, but we will live again on the other side in glory.

            But I think this understanding of resurrection needs to be held in tension with another understanding of resurrection, and that is that God gives us new life now, not just after death. Resurrection happens in the present, not just in the future. Matthew’s gospel tells of Mary Magdalene and the other Mary going to the tomb early that morning. There is no mention of them bringing spices to anoint his body. They knew a stone too big for them to roll away blocked the entrance, and guards had been posted to make sure no one went in or out. They went to the tomb, maybe to sit by it as we might sit by a graveside. They went to grieve, to remember, to wonder, to wait. But the descending of an angel caused the earth to quake and the ground to roll. The angel himself moved the stone away. Dread at the appearance of the angel caused the guards to fall into a dead faint, and surely the women must have been frightened too. But the angel uttered the same words to them that had been proclaimed to others at the birth of Jesus, “Do not be afraid.”

            Do not be afraid. Jesus was crucified, but he has been raised. See the spot where he lay. He isn’t there. Go quickly and tell the disciples that he has been raised from the dead and he is going ahead of you to Galilee. Meet him there. “This is my message for you”

            And the women, filled with both fear and joy, run to do just that. And it is on the way to share this good news with the disciples that they meet Jesus. Alive, risen, resurrected. They meet him in the present, not in the future. They witnessed the resurrection while they were still alive and able to tell the story. They were able to see him, talk to him, touch him. They saw the resurrection in their present long before they saw it in the future.

            And that’s what I mean about holding these two understandings of resurrection in tension. Yes, our faith tells us that resurrection is something we will all experience on the other side of the veil when we are taken up to glory. But resurrection is also right now and right here.

            It seems to me that the resurrection was God’s great “Yes” to life and to love, and God’s great “No” to the powers and principalities that tried to stop love from winning. The forces that put Jesus to death on the cross were people who were afraid; afraid of losing their own power and fearful of what the power of love could and would do. Kill him, they thought, make sure he is dead and gone and out of our hair and out of our way. But they miscalculated and underestimated the power of God and God’s love. Their plans to stop  God’s love by stopping Jesus backfired. They backfired spectacularly! Instead of stopping this love that Jesus embodied and preached, that love grew and spread and claimed people’s hearts and minds. It was not just about resurrection sometime later; it was about resurrection now.

            That’s this tension that I’m talking about. When I was able to listen to Levon again, when I was able to belt out the words, “I’m gonna see my mother, gonna see my father,” I knew, and I believed that something within me had been resurrected. It’s not that I’m over the deaths of my parents, it’s that listening to that music and singing along with Levon reminded me that there is joy to be found in the now, even as I anticipate seeing my mom and dad again in the future. When joy can be born out of grief, that’s resurrection.

            When hope can rise from despair, that’s resurrection. When anger gives way to forgiveness, that’s resurrection. When empathy and compassion bridges division, that’s resurrection. When the fullness of peace is prioritized over the emptiness of war, that is resurrection. When we see one another through the eyes of God rather than through eyes clouded by distrust and suspicion of the other, that is resurrection.

            The abundant life that God offers is not just a reward upon death, but a gift and a promise now. The resurrection does not take away the sorrows of this world. It does not magically make grief and trouble and trials disappear. But resurrection reminds us that new life is ours now. God is making all things new, right here, right now. Our incarnate God who willingly took on our flesh, and in doing so our suffering, is alive and in the world and in this place and in our midst. The stone has been rolled away. The tomb is empty. Love and life have been let loose in the world, so do not be afraid. When fear is released and love is embraced, that is resurrection. That is my message to you.

            Let all of God’s children shout, “Alleluia!”

            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment