Wednesday, July 6, 2022

The Sound of Silence -- Juneteenth

 Kings 19:1-15a

June 19, 2022 

            This past week I was in Louisville at the Presbyterian Seminary, finishing up the second week of my fourth and last seminar for my Doctor of Ministry degree. There is still at least another year and a half of work, research, and writing left to do before I can even think about the graduating, but to finish this fourth seminar felt like a big step. In retrospect, I can see how much further I got on my project during these last two weeks. But I can only say that because I’m done with the two weeks. I could not say that during these past two weeks. No, in the throes of these last fourteen days, my attitude toward everything I was doing was very, very different.  

            The first week when I attended the class from home, I felt overwhelmed and wasn’t sure I’d be able to get through all the work that needed to be done. But I kept thinking that it would be better once I was actually on campus. Then the second week, I went to Louisville, and it didn’t feel any better. Forget these two weeks! I was convinced that I would not be able to get through the work for the entire degree. Talking to Brent at night, I would tell him,

            “I have made a huge mistake.”

            “Why did I ever think I could do a DMin?”

            “Why did I ever say the word, DMin?”

            “I’m going to quit.”

            “I want to go home.”

            And when I wasn’t sharing my fears with Brent, I was lying awake at night, wondering what the heck I had gotten myself into. There were tears. And I don’t think I had one good night’s sleep the entire time I was gone. But the last day of class, my professors assured me that my work on my proposal had come a long way from the first day of the seminar.

            Hearing that helped. And I’m so grateful for Dr. C. and Dr. F. because they kept me going forward. But what helped me even more was hearing that my colleagues in our cohort were feeling the same way. Apparently, it wasn’t just me asking, “Why? Why?!” And it wasn’t just me shedding tears of frustration and wanting to quit, give up, go home, and forget that we’d ever even thought about getting a DMin at all. That made me feel better, not because I wanted my misery to have some company, but because I discovered that I wasn’t alone. I wasn’t the only one feeling discouraged and confused. Even though I may have felt completely alone in those moments, I know that I wasn’t. And that helps. It helps because it reminds me that we are all in it together. Knowing that doesn’t make the work that lies ahead any less daunting. It doesn’t make it any easier. But it makes it bearable, because I know I have three other women who are with me. No matter how discouraged about this work that I have been, and no matter how discouraged I will be in the days and months to come – and I’m sure I will be – I am not alone. These three other women are with me on this path, and I am with them.

            Elijah was not alone either, but he felt like he was. We haven’t spent any time in the chapters before this one, so we may not have a good sense of how Elijah was doing in living out his prophetic call from God. Well, from what I can tell, he was doing great! In the verses before our chapter begins, he predicted that a drought would come to an end, and it did! Before that he triumphed over the priests of Baal. Major victory for God and for Elijah. Elijah’s ministry was on fire. One commentator that I read likened Elijah to a pastor whose ministry is in the fast lane. If Elijah were a minister today, the commentator speculated, he would be that pastor whose church is growing by leaps and bounds. The pastor’s congregation is thriving. The church’s programs are busting out at the seams. Other pastors want to be this pastor. If Elijah were a pastor today, he would have inspired other ministers to preface their comments with, “Well, I’m no Elijah but …”

            But for all that Elijah was able to accomplish in the time before our passage, in the verses we read today we find him running scared. Jezebel, Ahab’s wife, has sent word to Elijah that she is going to do to him what he did to the prophets of Baal. With this threat and the fear of being struck down in his heart, Elijah runs away. Suddenly Elijah isn’t quite as confident as he was before. He travels about a day into the wilderness and finds a solitary broom tree. He sits down underneath it and asks God to let him die.

            “It is enough; now O Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my ancestors.”

            Then Elijah lays down under this tree and falls asleep. An angel wakes him and tells him to get up an eat, otherwise the journey will be too much for him. Elijah looks and sees that there is food and water waiting for him. He eats and drinks, and with the strength that the food gives him, he goes forty days and forty nights to Mount Horeb, the mountain of the Lord. There was a cave there, and he went into the cave and spent the night there.

            The Lord comes to him while he waits in the cave. The Lord speaks to him, wanting to know what Elijah is up to. Elijah answers,

            “I have been very zealous for the Lord, the God of hosts; for the Israelites have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword. I alone am left, and they are seeking my life to take it away.”

            In other words, “Look God, I have been eager to do your work and your will. I have been diligent. I have never forsaken you or your call in my life. But instead of things going right, they are going wrong. I am all alone in this because the other Israelites are trying to kill me. “

            I am alone, God. I am alone, and if you cared about me at all you would let me die.

            That may be an extreme sentiment, but I suspect that more of us have felt forsaken, discouraged, and alone than we would care to admit. Elijah had been trucking along at a nice speed, but then he was derailed by a hateful threat and the work that he had been doing came crashing to a halt. Now, he didn’t know what to do next. He was all alone.

            Except … he wasn’t. God was there with him in that cave on Mount Horeb. God refused to leave him alone, and considering the state that Elijah was in, he may not have thought that a good thing. But the Lord refused to leave Elijah alone or let him off the hook.

            “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”

            And a terrible wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains into two and pulverizing large rocks into tiny pieces. But God was not in that great wind. And after the wind passed, there was an earthquake. Everything on land and maybe even in the sky shook and rolled with the force of that quake. Then after the earthquake came a fire. Its heat blazed across the shaken and tossed mountaintop. But after the fire came the sound of sheer silence. When Elijah heard the sound of silence, he wrapped his head in his mantle and went and stood at the entrance of the cave. Out of the silence, the Lord spoke to him.

            “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

            Elijah gave him the same response as before. I’ve been zealous for you, Lord. The Israelites have forsaken your covenant. They have thrown down your altars. They have killed your prophets with the sword. Now, they want to kill me too.

            If Elijah hoped that God would say, “Oh, I understand why you ran away into the wilderness. I get why we had to have this conversation up here. It’s okay, buddy, you take a few days to get yourself together. Maybe take a week. Go somewhere sunny, with a beach! And when you return, I’ll start you back on desk work. Okay?” then he was sorely disappointed.

            God did not respond to Elijah’s complaint. God just said, “Go.” If that seems callous on God’s part, let’s look back at the story. God made sure Elijah had food and water. God made sure Elijah made it through the wilderness for forty days and nights. God could have roared at Elijah in the great wind or shaken him in the earthquake. God could have singed him in the fire, but it was in the sound of silence that God spoke to him once more. It was in the sound of silence that God said, “Go.” And God didn’t tell Elijah to go and sacrifice himself. God didn’t command Elijah to voluntarily put his head on a silver platter. God just said, “Go.” Go because there is still work to be done. Go because I call you to be faithful in spite of the hardships that others place on you. Go, because I never promised you that this would be easy, but I do promise you that in the long run it will be worth it. Go, because sometimes all you can do is keep on keeping up, but I promise I am with you.

            All of us are called, in different ways, to different ministries, but we are all called. And I think that along with each and every call comes discouragement. Discouragement that it seems with all we do and all we try nothing is changing. And in these times, giving up and walking away seems like the wisest decision to make. When we are discouraged, it is easy to forget that God has been providing for us all along. God has fed us, nourished us for the journey. God has sent messengers along the way to remind us that we are not alone. And when we think we cannot go another step, God says, “Go.” And we do. We put one foot in front of the other, and we go. We move forward. We keep on keeping on. And we trust that we are not alone. We trust that there are people on either side to help us walk when we cannot. We trust that we are not alone, that God is with us. So, let’s go. The work is before us, and God says, “Go.” Thanks be to God.

            Let all of God’s children say, “Alleluia!”

            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment