Tuesday, March 22, 2022

I Must Be On My Way -- Second Sunday in Lent

 Luke 13:31-35

March 13, 2022

 

 

She asked us to lament.

Lie down on the floor

weep, wail, wring our hands

learn suffering’s sound.

 

Unsure of this teacher

permitting us grief

we tentative students

 

persisted at blind happiness.

O! To reclaim that

blessed invitation.

Now my cry,

 

“My God, my God,

why have you forsaken us?”

would swallow the silence,

 

Subdue the void

left by that absence.

I would give heartbreak its voice,

sing agony’s crooked tune.

 

I would gnash my teeth

fashion sack cloth

drench my head in ashes.

 

If remorse could

stop Death from cradling

babies in his unrelenting arms,

if sorrow could melt

 

weapons like wax;

repentance dry the eyes

of every parent

 

of every child lost,

no sense, nor reason,

then I proclaim my remorse.

Shout apologies to the heavens.

 

I turn back, turn around,

change direction,

heed the prophet’s call.

Only Comforter, speak comfort. 

 

Cry hope. 

Soften stony hearts.

Reshape new from old, living from dying.

Teach us life, teach us love.

 

My God, my God, hear our lament.

 

            A favorite professor of mine, Gwen Hawley, was the teacher referenced in this poem. I was a student in her advanced group processing class, and the goal of advanced group processing was that we – the students – were to become a group. That sounds deceptively easy. Trust me, it is not. At one of our meetings each of us came to class feeling upset, despairing, worried or anxious. Our emotions were based on different events in our lives, but we were all feeling just plain bad. Gwen took stock of the emotional climate in the room and declared that we needed to lament. We greeted her words with anxious silence.

“I’m serious,” she told us. “You need to lament.”

She urged us to sit down on the floor and lament, wail, and gnash our teeth; whatever was necessary, whatever we needed. We all looked at her like perhaps she had lost it just a little bit. None of us could do it. No matter how much we may have needed to express our feelings, we were all too self-conscious and too uptight to vent them in such a dramatic and overt way. Gwen realized her suggestion was not going to take so she dropped it. But there have been many times since when I have wished to go back in time and take her up on her offer to publicly lament.

            I realize that it’s probably self-serving to use my own poetry in a sermon, and I apologize for that. But I wrote this poem when refugees fleeing from the war in Syria were trying to cross the ocean in small boats and dying in the attempt. I wrote it when I saw pictures of a little one washed up on a beach, and whole families lost to the sea. These last two years with Covid and seeing such dramatic pictures of the people fleeing the war in Ukraine reminded me of this poem. We are living in uncertain and difficult times. The circumstances of the world today give us plenty of reasons to lament. Lament features prominently in our story from Luke this day.

            Although lament is the overall theme of this story, in the first two verses Jesus sounds more irritated than mournful. Some helpful Pharisees came to him and warned him away from entering Jerusalem. “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.”

            But Jesus refused to be scared off by their warning.

            “Go and tell that fox for me, ‘Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem.’”

            “Go and tell that fox for me.” Jesus swatted away their warning as you would an annoying fly. I’m sure his response would have surprised, if not shocked, the Pharisees and probably anyone else privy to that conversation. Herod was a dangerous man and a dangerous ruler. This was the same Herod who to save face in front of his guests and to placate the desires of his wife and stepdaughter, had John the Baptist – whom he liked – beheaded. He was not a tyrant whose bark was worse than his bite. His bite was pretty darn bad.

            Some scholars question the motives of the Pharisees who warned him. Perhaps they understood that Jesus going into Jerusalem would cause more trouble for them than they could handle. So, if they could keep Jesus out of Jerusalem by warning him about Herod, then it would make life easier for them as well. But Jesus could not have cared less about their warning or Herod for that matter. He was not going to be bullied into staying away from Jerusalem. Jesus had kingdom work to do. He had a ministry and a mission and a purpose to fulfill. He would not be kept out of Jerusalem because Herod was breathing threats against him.

            His words, “because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem,” makes it clear that he knew the dangers the city held for him. He knew where his path would lead. He had been trying to make that clear to the disciples for some time. Ahead lay the cross and his death.   Herod’s threats meant nothing to Jesus. He had work to do, and he was going to do it. I must be on my way.

            Yet as he pondered Jerusalem, Jesus’ irritation and annoyance gave way to lament.

            “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!”

            Jesus’ poignant lament for Jerusalem tears at my heart every time I read these verses. The imagery Jesus used to describe himself paints a vivid picture of the people in that great city. They were like chicks, lost and vulnerable. The mother hen was there, waiting to take them under her wing, to protect them, and love them, but they were unwilling to be sheltered.

            I don’t know much about raising chickens. I remember visiting a farm of close family friends when I was a very little girl, and I didn’t like to get close to the hens because they pecked at your hands when you tried to gather eggs. But I went looking for pictures of hens and their chicks when I was writing this sermon. When a predator comes near, the hen puffs herself up, looking bigger and fiercer than normal. The chicks are pulled under her wings for protection, and the hen, though not so ferocious a creature as a mother bear or lioness, is willing to put up a fight to protect her babies. What’s more, she is willing to sacrifice herself to save them.

            I must be on my way.

            Jesus knew what awaited him in Jerusalem. He was under no illusions that Herod or any of the other powers that be would not see him as a threat to their power. Jesus was determined to do what he had to do. He was determined to continue his work, his ministry. He was faithful to his call. And this was no passive faithfulness. Jesus would be faithful, no matter what the cost, and the cost would be great indeed. Like a mother hen, he was willing to sacrifice himself for the chicks that needed his protection.

            I must be on my way.

            Jesus knew that safety in this world was not the same thing as being safe in God. When it came to the world, going into Jerusalem would guarantee that he had no safety. Violence awaited him in Jerusalem. Execution awaited him in Jerusalem. But Jesus was not about safety. He was about being faithful. It seems to me that he knew that while the world could do its worst – and it did – he had, as the psalmist declared, a stronghold in God. The tyrants of the world may take his life, but they could not take God’s light and salvation away from him. They could not take that.

            In this season of Lent, we are called to repent and reconsider the ways in which we are living our lives, following God’s call or not. I think we are also called to lament as Jesus lamented. We are called to lament the pain and suffering we cause ourselves and one another. We are called to lament that the Herods of the world do not easily give up or go away. And as we lament, we are also called to acknowledge our vulnerability. Jesus could have used a different image when he looked down on Jerusalem. He could have declared himself a mother bear or a lion, willing to fight to the death to protect his little ones. But he chose a mother hen instead; a creature not large or fierce, but one that even in her vulnerability would lay down her life to protect her chicks.

            Jesus knew that in earthly terms, he was vulnerable. But he also knew that he was sheltered in God’s love and care. And that was better than any protection found in this life. That was better than any worldly power he might have claimed. God was his light and his salvation, and because of that he had nothing to fear. He must be on his way. And so must we.  

            Let all of God’s children say, “Amen.”

           

 

No comments:

Post a Comment