Tuesday, February 23, 2021

In a Different Light -- Transfiguration Sunday

 

Mark 9:2-9

February 14, 2021


            Back in 2013, Phoebe, Zach and I flew from Oklahoma to Iowa to help my parents move back to Minnesota. That does not sound like a big deal on the surface, but we did not fly commercially. A dear friend was a licensed pilot, and he flew us in his private plane. This was not a private jet. His plane was bigger than a crop duster, but not by much. It was a beautiful plane, but it was small. We had to pack very carefully and lightly, so the plane would not be weighed down. Vic and I sat up front and the kids sat in the back. In order to talk to one another you had to have headsets on. To hear yourself think, you had to have headsets on. It was loud.

            One of the things that I love about flying is flying through clouds. That moment of going from seeing the world below you to seeing nothing but white cotton all around you still seems almost magical to me. It’s like the whole world changes right before your eyes. Well, if that moment is magical in a commercial jet, try it in a small plane. The clouds had never seemed closer and more intense than when we were in that small plane in the sky. I took some pictures as were going, and the colors that would reflect off the clouds were incredible.

            In one of these cloud moments, we heard talking. I wish I could say that it was a deep voice booming from the heavens, because that would not only be the greatest illustration for Transfiguration Sunday ever, I could also end my sermon right here.

            We heard a voice from heaven! Wow! Amen.

            No, it was air traffic control from some airport below us. And the voice we heard was not directed at us. But as my friend explained, the chatter of air traffic control is a constant. And, I’m sure, as a pilot, you are in constant communication with all the air traffic controls you pass over. They need to know you’re there, and you need to know from them the other planes that are in the air at the same time you are. I would never have thought that listening to air traffic control would be fascinating, but it was. I didn’t understand the technical lingo but hearing these voices in the clouds was kind of comforting. Down there, on the ground somewhere, people knew we were passing over. They knew we were there. We were not completely alone up there in the clouds.

            For me it was a comfort to hear the voice in the clouds as we flew over, but I suspect that being overshadowed by a great cloud on that mountain and hearing that voice, that eternal, divine, holy, awesome and awful voice, speaking to them, declaring to them that Jesus was indeed the Son, the Beloved, and they must listen to him, probably only added to their terror.

            To be honest, if I had been in their situation, I would have been terrified too. Jesus takes these three disciples, Peter, James and John, up a high mountain, and there he is transfigured before them. I will forever quote Rev. Dr. Anna Carter Florence when it comes to this passage. She said that we tend to think of these three disciples as being special to Jesus, not his favorites necessarily, but very close to him. What, she proposed, if Jesus took them up on that mountain not because they were special to him, but because they were the remedial group? What if they needed extra help in understanding, so Jesus took them with him so he could show himself in a different light altogether?

            And the more I study this passage, read it, preach on it, the more I think Dr. Carter Florence has a point. This story always begins with the words, “Six days later.” Six days later than what? Six days earlier, Jesus and the disciples were going to the villages of Caesarea Philippi, and on the way, he asked them what people were saying about him.

            They think you are John the Baptist, some said. They think you are Elijah, others chimed in. But then Jesus asked the question, “But who do you say that I am?”

            And Peter responds without hesitation, maybe speaking before he even knew what he was going to say,

            “You are the Messiah.”

            Peter spoke the great truth, whether he fully understood that or not. Peter made a great confession of faith, whether he fully got it or not. And the truth is, he didn’t get it. None of them did. Because after Peter’s confession, Jesus tells them what it really means to be Messiah. To be Messiah is to suffer. To be Messiah is to be rejected and mocked and laughed at. To be Messiah is to die a terrible, painful death. To be Messiah is to be killed and after three days rise again.

            But Peter – and I’m sure the other disciples with him – was not having it. He was not going to listen to that. He was not going to hear it. Stop it, Jesus! Just stop it. Stop all this talk about suffering and rejection and pain and death. You are scaring the others. You are scaring me. Peter rebuked Jesus, and Jesus rebuked him in turn. And remember the others that Jesus rebuked? They were demons. He rebuked the unclean spirits. The meaning and the intensity of this word does not change in this particular context.

            So here we are: six days later. And Jesus takes Peter, James, and John up a high mountain. And there on that mountain, they get a glimpse of who is really is. Who do you say that I am? Watch and you’ll see who I really am.

            For years as a preacher, I tried to articulate what the transfiguration must have been like. I have compared it to the transformer toys. It looks like a truck, but it transforms into a robot. I’ve talked about how our greatest laundry detergent and bleach could not get our clothes as white and as dazzling as Jesus’ were. I’ve tried to find the words to capture this moment on this mountain, but the truth is there are no words.

How do you describe glory? How do you portray the holy?

You don’t. You can’t. There are no words to describe what happened up there. Even if we had been privileged to experience it along with those three disciples. But I’ve tried so hard to find words and failed. That is why I empathize with Peter when he impulsively suggests that they build three dwellings, so that Jesus, Elijah, and Moses could all stay right there in that moment. Peter did not know what to say because he, they were terrified, so he reduced this dazzling, holy, terrifying moment down to something tangible; something they could understand.

How do you describe glory? How do you portray the holy?

Ultimately you can’t. And the truth is, I think most of the time I forget that there might be reason to try. Because many days, maybe even most days, walking this walk of faith feels more like being in that cloud, that overshadowing cloud. Only there is no voice giving me clear, unmistakable instructions. Listen to Jesus. Listen to him. I know that those instructions are implied to us modern day disciples, but how do we do it exactly? I think that I’m listening to Jesus, only to find out I might be wrong. Someone else thinks they are listening to Jesus, and I can’t imagine that they know the same Jesus I do.

The disciples were given a tremendous gift. They saw Jesus in his fullness. They saw him transfigured, changed not into someone different, but into his fullness as both human and divine. They saw him talking with Moses and Elijah, not as one who follows in the two great leaders’ footsteps, but as the One who has taken his place at the head. They were given the gift of true sight, even if it was for just a moment. And they were given the gift of God’s voice in the cloud, even though all of this was terrifying and beyond description. They were given such a tremendous gift up there on that mountain.

And there are days, weeks, months, when I long to be given that same gift; when I long to be assured and reassured that I clearly see Jesus, that I clearly and definitively hear God’s voice. I long for this because so much of the time I feel as though I am just living in the cloud. Feeling my way forward, unsure and unknowing of what comes next, what lies ahead, waiting, longing, hoping for even the briefest glimmer of Jesus the Christ in front of me. I just want to see, clearly, in a different light.

But the times when the cloud feels most overwhelming are also the times when I must remember those glimmers that I have experienced, those glimpses of Jesus I have been given. I have to remember that God has spoken to me, maybe not in a voice booming from the heavens, but through others, through unexpected encounters, through help and comfort being offered to me when I least expected it.

When life gets hard and the cloud of unknowing and unseeing bears down, I cling to my belief that faith is found in memory. I have had those moments of insight and those glimpses of truth. So, I remember them. I remember them and I move forward in hope – hope that gets frayed and bruised but hope that is also dogged and determined.

And, when life gets hard and the cloud of unknowing and unseeing bears down, I also remember a quote I read from the late writer, E.L. Doctorow.

He said that writing is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as the headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.

Substitute the word writing for faith.

Faith is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as the headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.

The disciples will leave with Jesus and go back down the mountain. They will leave this liminal place, this place where the mystery and matter met, and go back into the valley. They will see their beloved Teacher rejected and they will see him suffer. They will see him crucified. And they will run away in shame and terror. They will have to walk through their own valley of the shadow of death, and make their way forward in faith, step by step, inch by inch.

But Jesus will not abandon them in that valley, nor will he abandon us. He is with us even when we can’t see him, even when we don’t hear his voice. He’s there, and we continue on this path of faith, able to see only so far ahead, but trusting that we will make the whole trip that way.

Let all of God’s children say, “Alleluia.”

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment