Thursday, December 17, 2020

Speak Tenderly -- Second Sunday of Advent

 

Isaiah 40:1-11

December 6, 2020

 

            I don’t remember what words I spoke to my children when they were little and they would wake in the night, scared from a nightmare, or sick or convinced that monsters hid in the shadows and dark recesses of their rooms.

I don’t remember what words I would whisper to them, when I would pick them up from their beds and hold them close. I do not remember the exact words that I would whisper into their ears as I would rock them back and forth, but I know that they were words of comfort, words that soothed and calmed. I would reassure them that I was there, that they were safe, that they were loved.

I would speak tenderly to them, I would speak tenderly to them, telling them it all right, and that the long night would soon be over. They were safe. They were loved. I was there.  

            When you’re little and you wake in the darkest hour of the nigh, and the world seems so big and frightening, you need someone to speak tenderly to you. And when you’re older, even much older, and you wake in the darkest hour of the night, and the world seems so big and frightening, you also need words of comfort and reassurance. You need someone to speak tenderly to you.

            When I read these verses from the fortieth chapter of Isaiah, I imagine them in this kind of moment –waking up in the darkest hour of their long night of exile and feeling alone, abandoned, and afraid of the world that was so big and so threatening. Then into the darkness comes these words,

            Comfort, O comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to her that she has served her term, that her penalty is paid, that she has received from the Lord’s hand double for all her sins.”

            The people need these words of comfort. They need, desperately need, God to speak tenderly to them once more. These people, the Israelites, had gone from the wilderness to prosperity to exile. They were the chosen people yet even as God had chosen them, God had also let them feel the full wages of their sins. God had not prevented them from suffering the consequences of their actions. So, these words, these tender words were spoken to a people long exiled from their homes and homeland. They were announced to people who had lived generations as strangers in a strange land. These words were told to those who may have no longer believed that there was any comfort to be had.

Perhaps, once, they felt cherished by God, truly chosen by God, but they had forgotten what being chosen meant and what it required of them. These first verses were spoken to those who were lost and who believed they would never be found again.   

            "Comfort, O comfort my people."

What wondrous and incredible news to hear! There is comfort to be had. There is reassurance to be found. They were not alone after all. They were not forgotten or abandoned by their Maker. These words of comfort were astonishing to hear, especially as they follow 39 chapters that mainly speak words of judgment and condemnation for the ways the people turned from the Lord and neglected the least of those in their midst. Certainly, we find words of comfort, moments of hope in those 39 chapters -- I think specifically of the verses we hear around this time of year, the words from chapter 9 about the Prince of Peace. Yet even those beautiful verses are couched in judgment.

            So, the 40th chapter of Isaiah marks a significant change and turning point, not only for the relationship between God and God's people, but also in the book of Isaiah itself. Biblical scholars refer to this as Second Isaiah. This second Isaiah was most likely a different prophet writing in Isaiah's name. Regardless of who uttered them, these words of comfort must have felt like a healing balm flowing over the wounded hearts and weary souls of those people far from home.

            These words of comfort signify a new call as well. The Lord is calling his prophet not only to tell the people this news, but to herald them, to preach them. Preach to them that not only are they to be comforted, to know that their time of judgment is ending, but that everything will be changed. Even the physical landscape will be changed. Crooked roads through the desert will be made straight. Mountains will be brought low. Valleys will be lifted up. The uneven ground will be made level. The rough places will become a plain.

            Isaiah’s first response to this call is to question, as other prophets have questioned the call they were given. In response to being told to "cry out," he asks,

            "What should I cry?  All people are grass, their constancy is like a flower of the field.  The grass withers, the flower fades, when the breath of the Lord blows upon it; surely the people are grass."

            I wonder if the prophet is asking, "What’s the point? “

What is the point of preaching these words of comfort to them? Why bother telling them any of this good news? People are no more constant than the grass or flower that blooms for a short season then fades away. They are fickle. The word of the Lord has been given to them over and over again. They have been warned, exhorted, urged, even condemned, but they never seem to learn. They just don't get it. So, what is the point of speaking these comforting words to them, Lord? Why would God even bother?

            Why bother? What’s the point?

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever."

Yes, the people are like grass, God responds. Yes, they are inconsistent and fickle, but I am not. They may wither, but I do not. They might fade, but my words remain. I remain. So, preach these glad tidings. Preach this good news. Tell the people, "Here is your God!"

            Here is your God.

            Here is your God. Perhaps these are the tenderest words of all. It seems to me that these four words sum up Advent, this time of waiting, this time of yearning and watching and hoping. Here is your God is the answer we have been searching for, longing for. Here is your God are the tender words we need to hear.

            When I really ponder these four words, hear them, feel them, I am overwhelmed.  Because I realize that my preparations for Advent and Christmas are often a distraction from what I should be focusing on. But this year, the distraction feels necessary. The preparations we make, here at church and at home, distract me from my worries and my fears about the larger world and my family’s place within it. The last eight months have felt like a very long night, and the decorations and the lights are a bright spot in the darkness.

            But the real light shining in the darkness comes in these four words spoken tenderly to us in our time of such great need and fear. Here is your God. Here is our God.

            Here is our God coming to dwell in our midst once again. Here is our God, right next to us, whispering words of comfort in our ears. Here is our God. And when I can focus on these words, on this truth, then I remember another truth. I think my preparations, my decorating, my baking, my gifting, my sending makes Advent and Christmas happen. But the truth is that Advent happens to us. God comes to us. God changes the landscape. God alters the course of history. God breaks in and breaks through and God comes to us. God comes to us in our darkest night. God comes to us in the midst of our fears and our worries. God comes us speaking comfort, speaking tenderly. God comes to us and renews our hope and inspires our peace. These words, “Here is your God,” was a balm to the exiles so far from home and it is a balm to us in this darkest hour.

            "Comfort, O comfort my people." "Here is your God."

            Speak tenderly to us, O God. Speak words of comfort, words of hope, words of peace. Speak tenderly and open our eyes, our minds, our hearts so that we see you, feel you, know you. Speak tenderly so that we can proclaim with joy, “Here, here is our God!”

            Let all of God’s children say, “Alleluia.”

            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment