Thursday, March 19, 2020

Three-Sixteen -- Second Sunday of Lent


John 3:1-19
March 8, 2020

            My parents grew up doing Bible drills in church. As I understand it, that meant that in their Sunday school classes, Vacation Bible School, or in youth activities, they were told to get ready, get set, now find Ezekiel, chapter 25, verse 10! Or find Leviticus, chapter 12, verse 5! They also had to memorize verses from scripture and recite them.
            This meant that my mom and dad were both quick at finding their way through the Bible. And they knew/know the Bible. My dad knew the Bible exceptionally well. I am a pastor. I went to seminary. I studied biblical interpretation, theology, church history, and so much more vigorously and dutifully. I took both Hebrew and Greek. I spent a year in a church internship, learning what it means to be a pastor. But even with all of this, I cannot find my way through the Bible as fast as my parents and other folks of their generation. I used to think that rote memorization of bible verses was a silly, distracting kind of practice, but now I see it as a spiritual discipline. I know the stories and I know the themes of scripture, but I am terrible at remembering chapter and verse. Probably doing some memorizing everyday is the kind of spiritual discipline that I need to pursue actively in my life. And it wouldn’t hurt to have a few Bible drills either.
            But even as I say that, there is one verse that I know so well I could say it backwards and forwards. I know it in the King James:
            “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.”
            And I can recite it from the New Revised Standard:
            “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.”
            My guess it that just about everyone here – if not every single person sitting in the pews this morning – can recite this verse as easily and as readily as I do. Even if you didn’t participate in Bible drills like my parents did, just attending church on a regular basis means that you’ve probably heard this verse more than once. Truth is though, church attendance may not factor into whether someone knows this verse. This is one verse of the Bible that we see everywhere. It is displayed at sporting events. It’s on bumper stickers, and I’ve even seen it on billboards. Rolf Jacobsen, one of the professors and biblical scholars on WorkingPreacher.org, wrote this week that the name John does not even have to be used for people to recognize this famous verse. He posted a picture painted on a wall just of 3:16.
            Three-sixteen. A whole lot of folks know these numbers, and they know the verse they stand for. For God so loved the world … But often, it is only this particular, singular verse that we see. It is only three-sixteen that we hear. It is easy to forget that this verse does not stand on its own, but is part of the larger story of Nicodemus and Jesus’ words to him about being born from above. There is a lot more going on here than one verse, even the most beloved of verses, can encapsulate.
            While this is a great story filled with several great verses, I must admit that I have grown to dread its appearance when it rolls around in the lectionary. Dealing with this story means that I feel obligated to deal with the concept of being born again, and I do not relish taking that on.  
            I mean no disrespect to anyone who considers themselves a born-again Christian. I co-led a Bible study at the YMCA for several years, and at that table I was generally the only person who did not consider herself to be “born again,” at least not in the way that American Christianity tends to define that term. Everyone who came to that study and sat at that table became a good and cherished friend. I learned so much from them during the course of our time together. But our biggest point of difference was how we interpreted Jesus’ words in this passage. I don’t understand Jesus’ words in the same way they do. I don’t relate to being born-again in the same way that they do. It sometimes became a point of contention.
            Why? Because I was constantly being told that I needed to have a date and a time when I could say that I had accepted Jesus into my heart and was saved. But I don’t have one date. I have several. I have the date I went forward during an altar call in Vacation Bible School and was baptized after that. I have the date when I walked into a Presbyterian church for the first time. I have the date when I reaffirmed my faith. I have many dates; dates when I felt and experienced God in my life in a new and powerful way. I have many dates where I discerned that God was calling, sometimes even pushing, me in a new direction. The Greek that is translated as “being born from above” can be read in the future tense. That means that this being born from above, born in the Spirit is an ongoing process. The Spirit is working on us, over and over, not just on one day or at one time, but over the course of a lifetime.
            I do not have one day that I can point to as the day I was saved. And because I don’t have this, many of my born-again friends have implied that not only am I not saved, they have made it clear that they don’t think I’m a “real Christian.”  So I’ll be honest when it comes to three-sixteen, I don’t just dread it, I get my back up. I become Amy DeNiro.
            “Are you talking to me? Are you looking at me? Do you think I’m not saved cause I’m not born again? Do you think my kids aren’t saved cause they were baptized as babies? Do you think I’m not a real Christian because I interpret scripture differently than you? Are you talking to me?” I know this attitude may not help my argument.
            One of the problems that I have with the contemporary idea of being born-again is that it puts the world into two distinct camps – those who are and those who are not – with people on either side thinking they are the real Christians while the others are not. But is that what Jesus was saying? Is that what John was implying in this story unique to his gospel?
            The story we have before us does not begin and end with three-sixteen. Think about verse 17. God loved the world so much that God sent his Son into it to save it. God did not send his Son into the world to condemn it, but to save it. God loved the world. God loved everyone in the world. The world and all its inhabitants mattered to God. The world was to be saved by God through the Son because God loved the world.
            Here’s another point of contention that I take with our modern concept of being born-again. It would seem to imply that it is we who do the saving. I accept Jesus Christ my Savior; therefore, I am saved. I make the choice. I make it happen. But isn’t it God who saves? Back to verse 17. God sent his Son into the world so that the world might not be condemned but saved. This does not just reference individuals. Jesus was speaking about the whole world. The. Whole. World.
            The Greek word for world is kosmos. Biblical scholar and former WorkingPreacher contributor, David Lose, wrote that throughout the gospel, John used the word kosmos to refer to “an entity that hates God.” The world hates God, so the world will hate anyone who comes in God’s name. God didn’t just love the world, God so loved the God-hating world. God so loved the world that rejected God, that despised God, that hated God.
            The world might hate God, but God does not hate it in return. God loves it. God loves us. And God does not just love us from a distance; God loves us way up close and personal. God loves us intimately. God loves us so much that the way God sent his Son was through the very messy, very human process of being born. That’s how much God loves us, and God loves this world. Even though the world might hate God in return, God loves the world. That is the God we know; the God who loves us, God’s creation.
            Let’s think about the final verses in our passage today. God loved the world. God sent his Son into the world to save it, not condemn it. But if someone rejects the Son, if someone rejects belief in the Son, then that person is condemned. Does that mean that God banishes the person into hell? Or does it mean that a person banishes God from their life, from their heart? Rejecting God is about rejecting the light. The light came into the world, but those who reject God choose darkness over light. We may not be able to save ourselves by ourselves, but we are certainly good at condemning ourselves, aren’t we?
            But the light came into the world, because God wants the world to know the light. God loves the world. This is the God we know. However, this is not some easy peazy, happy-go-lucky love. God’s love is unconditional, but it does demand something of us. It demands us. It demands our hearts. It demands our whole selves. God’s love demands a response: a response of gratitude, service, and a willingness to trust and follow, even when that may seem impossible. God loves us because we matter. We have worth; after all, God created us. God is not about condemnation, but about love.
            God loves us and this world God created. God gave us not only the Son, but the Spirit. And that Spirit works on us and works on us and works on us, reforming and shaping our hearts, so that we are being born and created from above. In this season of Lent, we are called to come from the darkness into the light, to trust God and to believe in God’s love. And in this season of Lent, we are called to love in return, to love the world and all that dwells in it as God loves it.
            Three-sixteen. Because God loved this God-hating world so much, God sent his Son into the world – even the darkest, most God-hating parts of it – not so that world would be doomed, but that the world would finally, wholly and completely know the fullness of God’s love for it.
            Thanks be to God.
Let all of God’s beloved children say, “Alleluia.” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment