Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Have Mercy On Us


Luke 17:11-17
October 13, 2019

            Woe unto me as a child if I called one of my friends and asked,
“Is Andrea there?”
Woe unto me if I called one of my friends and asked,
“Can I talk to Andrea?”
Woe unto me if I answered the phone with a curt,
“Hello.”
Woe unto me because my mom was a stickler about manners, especially phone manners. If she overheard me calling a friend and asking for said friend in the manner of my two examples, she would come up behind me and say,
“May I speak to Andrea please?” 
At the sound of my brisk “hello,” she would correct me and say
“Hello, Busse residence.”
She did this as many times as it took, until my use of phone manners stuck, and I no longer needed to be prompted. However, her lessons in manners did not stop with phone etiquette.     
            There were table manners. 
“Take your elbows off the table.”  “Chew with your mouth closed.”  “Were you actually, in fact, raised in a barn?”
If I walked into the den and stood in front of the television, ignoring that others were watching it, I would hear,
“Amy, you make a better door than a window.”
            There were the manners that went with sharing. Pulling out a stick of gum in front of my friends meant I better have enough to share. It was impolite to have something and not offer some to the others around you. Having manners meant you didn’t interrupt people when they were talking, especially adults, unless it was an absolute emergency. Manners meant speaking politely in response to someone when you were spoken to.
            Of course my siblings and I were drilled on the basics, “Please.”  “Thank you.”  “You’re welcome.”  “Excuse me.”  These were the “magic words. Whenever I would ask for something or receive something, I was asked, “What’s the magic word?”   
            And if we didn’t mind our manners, we heard about it; and not just from my parents. Other adults were not shy about reminding my friends and me to mind our manners. 
            I am grateful to my mother, my father and all of the other adults who stressed the importance of politeness. But that does not mean that I didn’t hate the constant reminders to “mind my manners” when I was a kid.
Hated.  Them.
I made a solemn vow that if I ever had children, I would not do the same to them. I would not drill them on manners. Then I actually had children. Becoming a parent made me realize how important it is to teach my own children manners. So, in the spirit of my mother, I drilled manners into them. Good manners go a long way.
            This wasn’t because I wanted to be the etiquette police. I did not push manners on my kids just to conform to some expected social convention. Teaching them manners was my way of teaching my kids to be gracious; to be respectful. I want them to know that they have the power to turn an awkward situation into a joyful one. They have the ability to transform a moment just by saying “thank you.”
            “Thank you” is the critical phrase in this passage from Luke’s gospel. Only two words, but they make a world of difference. Jesus encounters ten lepers, heals them of their leprosy and out of those ten only one turns around and says “thank you” to Jesus for his healing.
            This isn’t the first time in Luke’s gospel or in any of the other three that Jesus meets lepers, but the idea of giving thanks to Jesus for healing is unique to this particular passage.  There doesn’t seem to be any other passage in any of the gospels where Jesus encourages the people he heals to turn around and give thanks. I doubt Jesus healed someone, and then prompted that person with “what are the magic words?”  But in this instance, Jesus singles out the Samaritan leper because the Samaritan turned around and gave thanks.
            As I said, Jesus has met lepers before in other situations. Lepers were absolutely some of the least of these in this particular culture. Not only was leprosy – and there were many different kinds of leprosy – considered to be a physical ailment, but it was also thought to be a spiritual misfortune as well. Lepers were ritually and spiritually unclean.
            Because they were considered unclean, lepers lived outside of the main community in their own colonies. When clean people approached their “space,” lepers were required to call out “unclean, unclean!” This warned people to keep their distance. But they still had to survive, and begging was often the only way to do that. So in spite of their uncleanness, they would sit near major traffic ways and beg for charity as a means to survive.
            I can imagine these ten lepers sitting on the outskirts of the village, crying out, “Unclean. Unclean.” And then they see Jesus. Although they didn’t dare get too close to him, I can hear their cries of “unclean, unclean” turning into a plea for help and healing.
“Jesus, Master!  Have mercy on us.”
            This is not our typical gospel healing story. Jesus sees the lepers, but he does not lay hands on them. He does not speak words of healing to them. Instead, he sends them to the priest. When a leper was healed, cleansed of leprosy, a visit to the priest was required. When the priest saw the leper and declared him or her clean, that person was finally able to return to the larger community. Jesus’ command for them to go to the priest was not out of the ordinary, and certainly within the structure of the Law. The ten obediently respond to Jesus and make their way to find the religious leader. While on their way, they are healed. As they were walking in faith, listening and responding to what Jesus told them to do; they were once more made clean. One of them, a Samaritan, happens to notice that his skin, his flesh has been healed. When he observes his healing, he immediately turns back to Jesus and begins praising God with a loud voice. He prostrates himself before Jesus’ feet and thanks him.
            Jesus asked him, “Didn’t I heal ten lepers, and only one came back? What happened to the other nine? Only this foreigner saw fit to praise God and give thanks.”
            Only this foreigner. The one leper who turned back to Jesus had a double whammy against him. He was a leper, therefore an outcast, and he was a Samaritan, therefore an outcast. But he, the foreigner and the outcast, was the one who turned around and cried out his praise and thanks. It was the alien in the land, the Samaritan, who showed an attitude of gratitude. He was the only one who came back. And the result of this was that not only was he cleansed of his leprosy, but Jesus also blessed his faith. The Greek verb translated here as made well can and has been translated as to be saved. Jesus healed ten lepers and saved this one foreigner. 
            This is not the first time Luke’s gospel has given us a story about a Samaritan, a foreigner, doing something unexpected. The Samaritan along the Jericho Road also acted in a way that surprised and even confused the listeners of that story. Once again in this story of thanksgiving, it is a foreigner, a Samaritan, an enemy who does the most loving, godly, righteous thing. When the Samaritan saw that he had been healed, he turned back to Jesus, praised God with a loud voice, and gave thanks.
            It was the Samaritan who showed gratitude. I don’t think that this is evidence of the Samaritan’s mother drilling manners into him – although who knows. I think that this Samaritan understood something about gratitude and thankfulness and graciousness that perhaps the other lepers, and the others listening to Jesus, did not; or at least they did not yet.
            Being grateful is not just an automatic response designed to oil the wheels of social convention. Being grateful, living in gratitude is actually a way of being, a state of mind. Preacher and teacher David Lose wrote that gratitude is like a muscle. We have to constantly practice it and work it and practice it some more. Gratitude is not necessarily easy, and it is not always our first response. But gratitude actually does make a difference in our attitude and in turn, can make a difference in our lives. There is a growing body of science to back this up. People who live with gratitude tend to be happier.
            I think my gratitude muscle has gotten kind of weak. While I am pretty good about being polite, I am my mother’s daughter after all, I do not live in a state of gratitude. I tend to live in a state of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I tend to live in a state of waiting for the next bad thing to happen. Worry, anxiety, frustration, etc. are my much stronger muscles.
            Don’t misunderstand me, there are some events in our lives that makes practicing gratitude incredibly hard. I do not believe that we are called to cover or hide the genuine emotions that we feel when we are grieving or hurting or scared. People who are depressed can’t just be told to get happy and everything will be all right. But even as I say that, to be able to practice gratitude in the face of the other things, even the overwhelming things, helps. But it takes practice. So for just a minute, I’d like you to close your eyes and think of one thing, one person, one aspect of your life for which you are grateful. You don’t have to tell anyone. You don’t have to write it down and put it in the offering plate. Just think about one thing that you are grateful for. (pause)
            Now, for the rest of the day, for the rest of the week, think about that thing, think about that person. Say to yourself, especially in those moments when life feels like too much, I am grateful for … See if it helps. See if it changes anything. These are not magic words, but they may remind you that we have blessings that we don’t always see as blessings.
            I know that all of these blessings will be different for each of us, but I also know that one thing we all have in common is that when we ask Jesus to have mercy on us, Jesus does. That’s grace. We don’t deserve it. We don’t earn it. It isn’t always what we expect. But it’s there. Jesus had mercy on those lepers, and it was the Samaritan, the foreigner, who recognized it, turned around and gave thanks.
            Jesus has mercy on us. Let us give thanks. Let us be grateful. Let us practice and work this gratitude muscle. Then let us show that grace, that mercy, that unqualified love to others. All others. Let all of God’s children say, “Alleluia!” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment