Thursday, September 12, 2019

This New Thing


            Maybe a quote will help. Some pithy words of wisdom from a renowned author or great thinker will swiftly kick whatever brain synapses of creativity that currently reside inside my head into spinning new strands into the webs of my thoughts. But no quote I found, no words of wisdom proved imagination inspiration.
            Yet, why do I need a quote? Why do I need another’s words to encourage my own? With all due respect to more prolific writers and their musings, their words are not a requirement for me finding my own. I am doing a new thing. I am doing my new thing.
            So much change. So much transition. So much leaving and letting go. So much new to learn, to welcome, to experience. That is what this blog is about. That is what I hope to write: this new thing I am doing.
            What newness will I write about? New love and new marriage, with my recent wedding to my lovely and dear best friend, sweetheart, husband. New arrangement of family with one child in college and the other living with us, trying to find her way, trying to find herself. New children in my step (why do we use this word to describe new families through marriage?) children, all grown, but I hope they will find friendship in me.
            New church. New call. New ministry. New service. That will be fodder and fuel for this new literary endeavor. New sermons to post, but even more, new thoughts to share and old thoughts to re-explore and reshape.
            New me? No, not so much. Just me growing older, maybe becoming a little wiser, seeking to find a better fit in my old skin.
            New, novel, newly, new. This new thing? I’m doing it.

2 comments:

  1. HOOOOOOORRRRAAAAAY! Next time I'm in Nashville, I'm looking you up. (There's a conference that occurs once a year in the summer and I'm overdue to visit again.) I am thrilled for your happiness and bursting with love for you and your words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Shelley! I'm looking forward to seeing you next time you are in the Music City!

    ReplyDelete